Tricky Vignette ALT

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Tricky Vignette ALT

Postby kyeric » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Hey everybody! Still gearing up for this test on Monday the 18th. I have run through the original ARE 4.0 vignette multiple times and I think* I might have it down. I did this custom vignette to test my mettle and there were a few things that did throw me a bit. Mostly it was the amount of columns, based on the 35' max beam span, and if I did the right thing by including a beam where a 1-story is adjacent to a 2-story space.

Link to vignette pics:
http://imgur.com/a/25swM#RJJFCtB

Does anyone mind reviewing this for me and letting me know if I did good enough for a PASS?

Thanks!

*Disclaimer: Actual thinking is difficult for me to do after so many hours studying for this thing.
kyeric

Re: Tricky Vignette ALT

Postby matte » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:14 am

Hate to say it, but I think it is a fail - albeit a slight one. You missed the framing for the clerestory on the lower roof plan, at the East and West cafeterias. Otherwise, looks fine. I came up with something similar on this one.
matte

Postby zahzou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16 am

I'm testing tomorrow and hope that the actual vignette isn't like this... but just in case: the program states that "Columns may not be located in window walls". Yet your solution has plenty of them in window walls. Can you please clarify? Is this because the "window wall" is only the portion in between the columns, and not the full length of those walls? I must be missing something simple... :roll:
zahzou

Postby matte » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:23 pm

The program for this alt dictates a 35' max beam length; it also says that the beams can be within the clerestory window wall. You are right, that it says columns can't be in window walls. It is a poorly written program. Doubt very much NCARB would give you anything like that.
matte

Postby zahzou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Great, that puts my mind at ease. Thanks!
zahzou

Postby kyeric » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Thank you for the reviews! I can see that I did, in fact, totally miss the beams below the clerestory windows.

This vignette was a bit of a stretch and I can see that there are better ALTs out there. I am going to post another one soon.

Thanks again for the comments, you guys rock.
kyeric

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS