Vignette and question. Testing tomorrow.

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette and question. Testing tomorrow.

Postby jives8o » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:53 am

My first pass at the Vignette. I am testing tomorrow, so I am thankful for any comments.
I do have a question as well.
I see on this forum it is recommended and common to have a beam on the lower level spanning north-south on the west side of the covered entry (sketched a green box). Im having trouble understanding why, to carry the wall above it? If that is the case, should the beam running between the common area and shops run all the way to the southwest column in the common room? That way it can hold up the wall above it? I put a green sketch box around both these areas in my attached layout.

If someone could help me understand this I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jives8o

Re: Vignette and question. Testing tomorrow.

Postby patjohns » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:25 am

You would not need to extend the beam in the common room. My understanding is that where yellow meets gray is where you need to put in a beam. It is to carry the roof below. Hope that helps. Good luck on your test!
patjohns

Postby Coach » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:57 pm

jives8o wrote:I see on this forum it is recommended and common to have a beam on the lower level spanning north-south on the west side of the covered entry (sketched a green box). Im having trouble understanding why, to carry the wall above it?

Yes.

If that is the case, should the beam running between the common area and shops run all the way to the southwest column in the common room? That way it can hold up the wall above it?
No. If there is no low roof adjacent to it the wall is self-supporting.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jives8o » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks Coach and patjohns for the reply!

Very helpful!
jives8o

Postby patjohns » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Coach, I'm probably going to annoy you by asking this question, but I just don't understand why the beam carries only the wall above? Wouldn't it also have to carry the roof joists from the lower roof, as well?
patjohns

Postby Coach » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:39 pm

patjohns wrote:Coach, I'm probably going to annoy you by asking this question, but I just don't understand why the beam carries only the wall above? Wouldn't it also have to carry the roof joists from the lower roof, as well?
Not if the joists are parallel to the beam.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby zahzou » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Coach, regarding the "no beam unless it's next to a low roof" rule: The only possible exception to this would be if the program specified a clerestory on an exterior wall, in which case a beam would be necessary below and above?
zahzou

Postby Coach » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 am

zahzou wrote:Coach, regarding the "no beam unless it's next to a low roof" rule: The only possible exception to this would be if the program specified a clerestory on an exterior wall, in which case a beam would be necessary below and above?
Well, yes, but technically that wouldn't be clerestory. By definition, a clerestory has a roof below it.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby zahzou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks Coach. Testing tomorrow and just wanted to make sure... I saw another alt, in the post titled "Tricky Vignette ALT" which specifies clerestories at exterior walls, but I'll take it as a misnomer and hope not to come across it on the actual test.
zahzou

Postby patjohns » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Not if the joists are parallel to the beam.
Oh, right. Duh. Boy, that was a dumb question.
patjohns

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS