Window Wall??

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Window Wall??

Postby Mountain Meg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Can someone please explain why we are ignoring the window walls in all of these vignettes? I realize this isn't real life, but in real life you would need beam to span a 20' window opening. I guess we are to assume that there is no load on top of the window? Is it best to just ignore the "window walls?" (But obviously not ignore the clerestory.)

Thanks in advance.
Mountain Meg

Re: Window Wall??

Postby Coach » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Mountain Meg wrote:Can someone please explain why we are ignoring the window walls in all of these vignettes?

They aren't ignored.

I realize this isn't real life, but in real life you would need beam to span a 20' window opening.

Read the program again.

I guess we are to assume that there is no load on top of the window?

No.

Is it best to just ignore the "window walls?" (But obviously not ignore the clerestory.)

No.

Well, you can ignore them if you follow my advice and not use bearing walls. The only reason window walls exist in the vignette is to prevent you from using bearing walls everywhere.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Window Wall??

Postby Mountain Meg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Ok, absolutely no lintels except in bearing walls. Got it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here since all the vignettes I have seen have big window walls.

Thanks!
Mountain Meg

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS