Where to begin....fourth try.

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Where to begin....fourth try.

Postby LittleBlackBug » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:16 pm

I am going into my fourth try at Structures, most recently failed in May when I was 38 weeks pregnant. I do,improve each time, but am now down to a time crunch with the rolling clock. My clock expires in March. Last October I went to the Dorf seminar. I typically study FEMA, Ballast, Why Buildings Stand / Fall. Obviously I'm not getting it. Any suggestions would be tremendous! TIA
LittleBlackBug

Re: Where to begin....fourth try.

Postby o2b4wln » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:42 am

LittleBlackBug,
I feel your pain and I'm sure you're quite frustrated by hang in there.

If you can afford it I would highly suggest the Mitalski online lectures, he does a good job of breaking down the basics. Also look into the Great Courses Online class that deals with structures, it does an excellent job.

Good luck and hang in there, you're not alone!

O2b4wln
o2b4wln

Postby eyoung » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am

I am in the same situation, attempt #4 scheduled for December, and studying with a toddler. This is the only multiple choice I have failed and its so frustrating to get those letters back especially when its your last test. I bought the Great Courses for try #3 and they were good for visuals, but I just finished the Mitalski videos and found it much more helpful and relevant. The Kaplan 500 questions has helped a few of my friends pass so I plan to go through those questions and answers. What portion are you failing? I have consistently failed the general structures so I'm really concentrating on NCARBs definition of that and hoping the 4th times a charm. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure you get extra time on your rolling clock for having a child. Have you looked into that?
eyoung

Postby stvdg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:25 pm

I just started the Thaddeus "at your pace" online seminar and have watched about 8 hours of lectures and it has been really great. I debated over whether or not to spend money on a class, but I am hoping that this class will help me pass the exam on the first try (it's been over 13 years since I have taken a structures class). So far I am very impressed. He has a lot of tips on how to answer the questions and some shortcuts to solving problems that I never learned in school.

Good luck and don't give up!
stvdg

Postby matte » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Totally agree. I used the Thaddeus seminars, Kaplan, and the Kaplan 500. Would say Thaddeus and the 500 were the most helpful. You can do it!
matte

Postby LittleBlackBug » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks all! I have heard great things about the Mitslski videos. At this point I'll pay what I have to in order to pass. I've gotten better each time, this last time it was just minor defficencies, I believe, but will check. Thankfully passed the vignette. It's my last exam and I wish I would have done it first. We also have a four year old. My brain is mush and baby is up three times a night still. Who knows, maybe the lack of sleep will be the trick. What is the Kaplan 500? I don't remember seeing it the last time I borrowed materials from the AiA library. Thank you all! I'll give it all a try!
LittleBlackBug

Postby LittleBlackBug » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:48 pm

I did look into the rolling clock, but they explained that it was only on exams that I took after baby, so I would have three that would fall off that I took while pregnant the first time but before baby was born. I had hoped it would extend everything. Will be applying for two extensions since we've had two in four years.
LittleBlackBug

Postby k4dm0nky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Honestly spend the money on Mitalkski lectures and spend time on it. It will put you to sleep but watch the videos 2 times through. I even watched a few videos a third time! Also wth his lectures you get his EquALs onlin exam which honestly was an AMAZING resource I found. There were a lot of videos within the questions explains the answer and I thought it was great. I feel you have the working knowledge of this exam and Marc will help you seal the deal! Good luck!
k4dm0nky

Postby k4dm0nky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Kaplan 500 is the Q and A book with over 500 practice questions. I highly recommend it along with Marc's EquALS practice problems. I felt both of those question banks made me prepared to take the exam.
k4dm0nky

Postby LittleBlackBug » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks all!! I will use both Kaplan and the videos. Fort those with kids, how long were you studying in order to pass?
LittleBlackBug

Postby k4dm0nky » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:32 pm

It took 4 months of study time for me.
k4dm0nky

Postby RSN » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:54 am

Hello Blackbug,

Congratulations on the baby. You will get through this, and look back and be amazed on how you swung it all.

I graduated 20 years ago from college (not from the US either!), and have a 10 year old. I immigrated, married, had a baby, divorced, remarried etc. Life goes on. But I am finally in the running for a license, after working as a partner in an architectural firm. I took structures yesterday (first try), and think will pass. Here are some tips:

1. Think differently. Obviously the first 3 tries didn't work, so you got to shake things up. Add your points to mine below. Surf this site for tips.
2. Sit down with the NCARB booklet, and mark each item mentioned in the syllabus. Work out the weightage of topics, the things they specify you will be questioned you on. Ex. Seismic- 40 questions, general- 50 questions etc. Divide your study period accordingly. Seismic- 1 week, General- 1 week etc. I would say you need at least 80 hours, given that you have studied the material before. Is material retention your problem? Or understanding the concepts? Or practice? Remember the questions from the past exam.
3. Besides studying the books, do NCARB questions relevant to what you studied each day. Yes- the same 40 questions. You will be able to word them differently, and predict other questions from what you studied that day. Very important.
4. Do Kaplan/Ballast questions each day. I did about 50-100 questions every day. It built my brain's endurance in handling grating! Repeat them at least 3 times. Your goal should be to get overall 65% by the third try.
5. The exam is actually very different from what one studies in the books. It is very technical, and the questions are worded in a very tricky manner. So one must understand the concepts, from all different angles- cost, comparison with other similar or dissimilar systems, occupancy, maintenance, connections etc. Therefore the above exercises help.
6. Sit down and make comparative charts to consolidate the concepts for yourself:
wind vs. seismic
flexible vs. rigid diaphragm
shear wall vs. rigid frame vs. bracing
steel vs. concrete vs. wood construction
flat plate vs. waffle vs. xyz construction
7. Read a wide variety of books. If you get bored with the Ballast (I used the very concise all 7 divisions in 1 ARE manual- it cuts out the crap), look at Architectural Graphic Standards, or the Building Construction Illustrated. Books can be rented via AIA or Amazon, or bought second hand at textbooks.com or other sources.
8. Definitely do the Thaddeus or similar online, so that you are familiar with the vocabulary.
9. Devote a good chunk of time everyday (4 hours in at least 2 sessions). I know it is not possible with a new born. Rope in your husband, family/friends to cooperate. Try the Parenting magazine/website for tips on studying with a baby. Do things you like, so that it is not only about baby and the exam.
10. As far as books are concerned here are my suggestions:
Kaplan 500 Q&A
Ballast ARE Review for concepts
Ballast practice questions
Buildings at risk- wind and seismic
FEMA seismic
American Graphic Standards (student version will suffice)- very important to look at the diagrams. Exam has at least 40 questions with diagrams
Flashcards
Youtube videos to make it real- welding, standard penetration test, cone test, open web joists etc.- all less than 4 minutes.
Go through NCARB list of reference material, order any conceptual simple books- you can get old used versions for as little at $5. You do not have to read them entirely.
11. Do the graphic part at least 3 times. Look at the failing solution closely in Dorf book.
12. You can skip practicing the problems that will never be asked- beam/column etc design as per Professor Thaddeus, which the books are full of. Focus on problems from NCARB booklet and similar. There will be, as you know at least 15 simple calculations. They are repetitive, the same simple things over and over again.

Good luck,
RS
RSN

Postby Liam's_Dad » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:32 pm

LittleBlackBug wrote:I did look into the rolling clock, but they explained that it was only on exams that I took after baby, so I would have three that would fall off that I took while pregnant the first time but before baby was born. I had hoped it would extend everything. Will be applying for two extensions since we've had two in four years.

My wife and I welcomed our son during the rolling clock and I was able to extend ALL tests expiration dates by 6 months...plus those extra weeks due to the "blackout".
It was simple and the response was fast.
Definitely, definitely look into that.
Liam's_Dad

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS