NCARB SS Attempt 1

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB SS Attempt 1

Postby Architeer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:10 pm

SS NCARB Att. 1 SF.jpg
SS NCARB Att. 1 FF.jpg

Hey guys, mind taking a look?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Architeer

Re: NCARB SS Attempt 1

Postby Mountain Meg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:36 pm

A couple things jump out at me. You definitely need to extend the beam on the north side of shop 1 all the way to the edge of roof. Otherwise, what is supporting your joists over the east half of shop 1? Also, although you are not technically wrong it seems that the consensus on the forum is to turn your joist direction over the covered entry which eliminates a need for that beam running along the roof edge. This is more economical. Coach suggests adding a column to the west side of the seating area (RE: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2096) I am personally not sure which way is better. He also recommends centering the columns on the northernmost and southernmost column lines. Again, not sure how vital this is. I actually find that using a bearing wall on the north and south walls of the first story makes a lot of sense. And because there are no openings in the walls you don't have to worry about lintels. Hope this helps.
Mountain Meg

Re: NCARB SS Attempt 1

Postby Architeer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks, anyone else?
Architeer

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS