NCARB Vignette - First attempt - testing soon

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB Vignette - First attempt - testing soon

Postby ssarch25 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Please review my vignette for the NCARB practice. Any comments, suggestions, corrections are much appreciated. Hopefully I've attached the images correctly.

Thank you and good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssarch25

Re: NCARB Vignette - First attempt - testing soon

Postby matte » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:39 pm

OK, I haven't taken the exam, and I'm no pro at the vignette [so take my comments with a grain of salt] -- but this is what I notice:

1. In general - lateral forces can be neglected. This means you don't have to have your columns lined up vertically in plan [like you do now].

2. Upper roof - the column that you have lined up with the column at the kitchen / seating area can be shifted over. You need to column at the lower roof in the NW corner of Shop 2 anyway, so might as well put the upper roof column in line with the lower column. This will also let you eliminate a column on the lower roof plan.

3. Lower roof - you have columns on the northernmost and southernmost walls at inefficient locations. Shift both to the center of those walls, so that beam lengths can be standardized as much as possible.

Hope that helps.
matte

Postby archejk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:33 pm

You have a beam on the first floor that continues to the west beyond shop 2 that needs to be deleted.
archejk

Postby ssarch25 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:22 pm

archejk wrote:You have a beam on the first floor that continues to the west beyond shop 2 that needs to be deleted.

Thanks for the comment, at first I didn't understand but now after doing some research I get it. There are no joists hitting it so the columns can just span two floors, nothing for a beam to do there.
ssarch25

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS