Framing - First attempt - Feedback requested // questions

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Framing - First attempt - Feedback requested // questions

Postby matte » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:42 pm

floor 2.jpg

floor 1.jpg

Would really appreciate any input on my first stab at the vignette. Testing this Tuesday, so all comments appreciated. I just watched Thaddeus' video on the topic, so wanted to do it while it was still fresh in my head. Will also try an alt tomorrow.

Some questions:

1: Framing underneath the clerestory? Thaddeus said that if the clerestory was on a wall that wouldn't have any other framing below [in this example, the east or west wall of the common area], to place a beam below it. Has anyone found this to be correct?

2: Location of the deck -- does the deck hit in the middle of the columns, along with the beams? Or would it be placed to the outside edges of the walls?

3: Covered entry -- did I do it right, or should the decking and beams go all the way to that dashed line denoting the edge?

4: Beam locations. I'm assuming we do not draw a continuous beam, but instead span the beams from centerline of column to centerline of column. Please confirm.

I appreciate your time and help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matte

Re: Framing - First attempt - Feedback requested // question

Postby matte » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:49 pm

4. Looks like NCARB doesn't care about segmented versus continuous beams. i'm going segmented, just to be sure I don't exceed 40'.

Also a follow up to question 1 - some folks on areforum said that a beam is needed at the side of the double ceiling area that has a low wall on it [in this case, east wall of common area]. Again, is this true? I figured that I have the joists there, so I should be fine, but don't want to fail for something like that.
matte

Postby archejk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 pm

matte wrote:
floor 2.jpg

floor 1.jpg

Would really appreciate any input on my first stab at the vignette. Testing this Tuesday, so all comments appreciated. I just watched Thaddeus' video on the topic, so wanted to do it while it was still fresh in my head. Will also try an alt tomorrow.

Some questions:

1: Framing underneath the clerestory? Thaddeus said that if the clerestory was on a wall that wouldn't have any other framing below [in this example, the east or west wall of the common area], to place a beam below it. Has anyone found this to be correct?
The east common area wall should have a beam under the clerestory. Look at NCARBS latest practice exam example. NCARB has changed their minds of it not being needed to it being needed.
2: Location of the deck -- does the deck hit in the middle of the columns, along with the beams? Or would it be placed to the outside edges of the walls?
Draw the deck to the centerline of a column/beam/wall
3: Covered entry -- did I do it right, or should the decking and beams go all the way to that dashed line denoting the edge?
Your covered entry is correct. No beam is needed on the east side of the covered entry, the joist does the trick.
4: Beam locations. I'm assuming we do not draw a continuous beam, but instead span the beams from centerline of column to centerline of column. Please confirm.
Do not draw a continuous beam. Remember beams should only span 40 feet.
I appreciate your time and help.
archejk

Postby matte » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:35 pm

OK; wasn't sure if that was specifically to support the clerestory, or because the double height area met the lower area. Thaddeus also said to include a beam so support the clerestory, if the location was one which would not otherwise receive a beam.
matte

Postby archejk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:40 pm

matte wrote:OK; wasn't sure if that was specifically to support the clerestory, or because the double height area met the lower area. Thaddeus also said to include a beam so support the clerestory, if the location was one which would not otherwise receive a beam.

To be safe, I would show the beam whenever you have a change in roof heights. Where the high roof has a perimeter wall along the exterior, it does not need a beam on the first floor (it is a full height wall). If anyone believes different please let us know, I just started studying all the vignette information yesterday and I am stating stuff from what I have gathered from all the material.
archejk

Postby Coach » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:09 pm

matte wrote:1: Framing underneath the clerestory? Thaddeus said that if the clerestory was on a wall that wouldn't have any other framing below [in this example, the east or west wall of the common area], to place a beam below it. Has anyone found this to be correct?

Always place a beam below clerestory.

Draw everything to centerlines.

That's what I recommend. The time saved by drawing a continuous beam is insignificant and may be a problem.

Missing beam at west side of entry.
Move northernmost and southernmost columns to midspan. No reason to align with intersecting wall.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:11 pm

archejk wrote:The east common area wall should have a beam under the clerestory.

There is no clerestory there.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby matte » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Coach, thank you for the responses; could you please clarify a couple points?

Coach wrote:Missing beam at west side of entry.

Is this because of the change in roof heights? What does this beam do?

Coach wrote:Move northernmost and southernmost columns to midspan. No reason to align with intersecting wall.

I'm assuming you mean the ones between the seating area / kitchen and the shops, respectively? Is this to keep beam size economical?

Coach wrote:Always place a beam below clerestory.

You do mean on the first floor framing, not the second floor framing?

Again, appreciate your responses and help.
matte

Postby Coach » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:10 am

matte wrote:Coach, thank you for the responses; could you please clarify a couple points?

Coach wrote:Missing beam at west side of entry.

Is this because of the change in roof heights? What does this beam do?

Yes. It carries the wall above.

Coach wrote:Move northernmost and southernmost columns to midspan. No reason to align with intersecting wall.

I'm assuming you mean the ones between the seating area / kitchen and the shops, respectively?

No, I mean the northernmost ans southernmost... at the lower level.

Is this to keep beam size economical?

Equalizing the spans is most economical.

Coach wrote:Always place a beam below clerestory.

You do mean on the first floor framing, not the second floor framing?
How can it be below if it's on the upper level?
BTW, there is no second floor.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby ssarch25 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 pm

I am just starting to practice the vignette for SS. I noticed you did not use bearing walls. The NCARB solution uses a lot of them. Does it matter? Is post/beam easier? Should I just stay away from bearing walls?
ssarch25

Postby matte » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Everything I've read and seen says to stay away from bearing walls. Steel is way easier, for the purposes of this vignette.
matte

Postby ssarch25 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:26 pm

matte wrote:Everything I've read and seen says to stay away from bearing walls. Steel is way easier, for the purposes of this vignette.

Cool, makes a lot more sense to me anyway. Thanks!
ssarch25

Postby matte » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:25 pm

For kicks, I tried to re-do this vignette, after having completed a couple of the alts. I understand the process and reasoning of the vignette now, so back to worrying about the multiple choice. Thanks again for the help!

upper.jpg

lower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matte

Postby Coach » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 pm

ssarch25 wrote:Should I just stay away from bearing walls?
Yes.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby zahzou » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Coach, I see in the latest NCARB Exam Guide that they included a beam at the east wall of the Common Area, as you said, they seem to have changed their minds (the Thaddeus video does not draw it). So basically the rule is we should have a beam under all double-height perimeter walls, if that wall is tied into joists? Is this correct? (Explaining why no beams are necessary at the west side of the common area and the south portion west of the covered roof). Just looking for the logic - thanks in advance.
zahzou

Postby Coach » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:52 am

zahzou wrote:Coach, I see in the latest NCARB Exam Guide that they included a beam at the east wall of the Common Area, as you said, they seem to have changed their minds (the Thaddeus video does not draw it). So basically the rule is we should have a beam under all double-height perimeter walls, if that wall is tied into joists? Is this correct? (Explaining why no beams are necessary at the west side of the common area and the south portion west of the covered roof). Just looking for the logic - thanks in advance.

Place a beam at lower level when adjacent to high space.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby dior » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:21 pm

...i am sorry... but i still don't get the beam under the clerestory... how do i draw such beam in the NCARB software?
dior

Postby Coach » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:38 am

dior wrote:...i am sorry... but i still don't get the beam under the clerestory... how do i draw such beam in the NCARB software?
It's just a beam and it's drawn like every other beam.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS