Strategy for the SS exam

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Strategy for the SS exam

Postby kristina » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:26 am

I've been studying for about three months. I'm getting closer but still not ready to schedule my exam yet... I'm feeling pretty confident on the general info, but the calculations and all the formulas are really dragging me down. My question is, would it be a good strategy to mark and skip all the questions that require calculations during the exam, answer all the general questions and then go back and do each calculation?? My concern is that I will be too slow with the calculations and I will run out of time for general questions which I could have easily gotten correct... Would it be possible to pass this exam by getting most of the questions correct and most of the calculations incorrect?
kristina

Re: Strategy for the SS exam

Postby fellefel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Yes. I would say most people adopt this strategy with this exam. I took it 10 months ago (am retaking in December). You can expect 10-15 calculation problems. So you could theoretically pass without doing calcs, but understanding the formulas will help you on non-calc questions, you'll see what I mean. You've probably heard this before, but make sure you know your lateral.
fellefel

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS