just 1-1/2 years of Internship- Is it feasible???

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

just 1-1/2 years of Internship- Is it feasible???

Postby archstudent2012 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi,I just completed 1900 hrs of IDP which made me eligible to take ARE exams. I am thinking about taking Structures, but I am having a dilemma because I do not have that much working experience. I graduated in May of 2012. Should I wait and continue on gaining more internship, or studying for this exam using Kaplan and Ballast will suffice? Please let me know your thoughts.
archstudent2012

Re: just 1-1/2 years of Internship- Is it feasible???

Postby ckruse » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:38 pm

I'd say go for it - especially if you have the time to study now before life gets in the way as it inevitably does. I started the AREs last year with only 1 yr of experience and took an exam every 2 months and I'm 6 for 6 and waiting on results for #7. Real world experience has had very limit impact on my exams - especially for SS. I basically did the Kaplan/Ballast route with web sites/supplemental material from the forum and I found that to be sufficient.

Everyone has their preference and strengths, but FWIW I roughly did the "easy to hard" route of SD, CDS, PPP, SPD, BDCS, SS, BS. So soon out of school, though, SS might be good to start since it's relatively fresh in your mind. Also know that it can take a month or 2 just to get approval from your state board to start taking the ARE, so you could at least start there if you haven't yet. Good luck.
ckruse

Postby tinaruiz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:01 pm

I agree with ckruse. Life got in the way for me since I waited til I was well past the IDP requirements to think about the ARE, then the recession hit! So, I wasn't sure it was worth it. Now I have a more positive outlook and now that I'm in the thick of it, I really wish I had taken these exams long ago. Take the time now and do it!! I think practical experience definitely helps, however not so much for SS. This is probably true for CD, SD, and SPD depending on where you work. With a good study plan you should be fine. Just take a lot of practice exams so you can assess your weak areas and know where to focus your energy. I also took the easy to difficult path with SD, CD, SPD, PPP (passed) and now SS, then BS & BDCS.

Hope this helps and good luck!

BTW, I forgot to mention that most of what you will learn in studying for the ARE will help you and reinforce what you learn at work. I worked for years in the dark and would have been a much better Intern/Designer/PM if I wasn't winging it all that time!
Last edited by tinaruiz on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinaruiz

Postby Coach » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:21 pm

No reason to wait. Especially for structures, which is easier with less time between the exam and school.

Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS