sajjad alt

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

sajjad alt

Postby ad2011 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am

one question:
is it ok to use a single Joist and Deck rectangle for multiple bays?
as in the north porch roof where the two middle columns are across from each other, so you could divide the joists and decks into two separate bays.

thanks for any comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad2011

Re: sajjad alt

Postby fss106 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 pm

this looks good to me. i dont know the answer to your question. i would think it is best to not do that, i cant think of a situation where you would need to..... certainly don't add an extra beam just because you have two columns across from each other that can't be considered economical-- but running decking continuously (in the real world) would be very economical. running joists continuously probably doesn't make as much sense because your spacing might place a joist directly on top of a beam.
fss106

Re: sajjad alt

Postby archejk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Looks good. I was debating on if i would use a bearing wall at the wall between the waiting room and yoga hall because the dorf manual says to keep beam lengths between 20-40 feet, but then their very first solution shows a beam just under 10 feet. Got to love study material that contradicts itself.
archejk

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS