Thaddeus Seminar

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Thaddeus Seminar

Postby foxam » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:20 pm

For anyone who has taken the Thaddeus seminar: I am taking the DC course (in person) here in a little over a week. I am using it mostly as a jump start to study for SS since I just took BDCS last thursday. What would you recommend reading before going to the class? I don't want to get there and feel lost with the basics since it has been a few since college.
Thanks,
Last edited by foxam on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
foxam

Re: Thaddeus Seminar

Postby DaveW » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:58 pm

1.) Print out the KEY in color on 11x17 (preferably at work)
2.) Take colored pens with you. Preferably thin point. I used these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006 ... alarcce-20
3.) Take a 0.9mm mechanical pencil with you for light note taking.

Follow along using the KEY. It's easier, and you can pay more attention to what he is doing. Use pencil for swift light notes. That way you can erase and re-position if he starts cramming too much information at the corners. Use colored pens for Heavy notes involving forces and formulae.

Have fun.
DaveW

Postby foxam » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks DaveW for the insight.
foxam

Postby kbrsnow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:44 am

You are ahead of the game since you have studied BDCS prior. He recommends studying BDCS (Steel, Concrete and Wood) concurrently.
Also pay attention to the Lateral Forces (shear wall, braced frame systems) on the third day.
kbrsnow

Postby foxam » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 pm

DaveW wrote:1.) Print out the KEY in color on 11x17 (preferably at work)
2.) Take colored pens with you. Preferably thin point. I used these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006 ... alarcce-20
3.) Take a 0.9mm mechanical pencil with you for light note taking.

Follow along using the KEY. It's easier, and you can pay more attention to what he is doing. Use pencil for swift light notes. That way you can erase and re-position if he starts cramming too much information at the corners. Use colored pens for Heavy notes involving forces and formulae.

Have fun.

Thanks kbrsnow for the info.

Davew,
Where do I get the KEY? I read that the sponsor will provide a link to it, but I didn't recieve one when I signed up through Green Education Services. I still have a week so maybe they will send a followup email when it gets closer.
Thanks again!
foxam

Postby DaveW » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 pm

He is supposed to provide you with two workbooks. One for a BLANK WORKBOOK, and one for a WORKBOOK KEY. This gives you options on how you wish to follow along. "WORKBOOK KEY" is basically the workbook already filled out by his employees. I did BLANK first time around because getting the link to the WORKBOOK KEY was a little confusing and not clear. So I had to hustle fast on keeping up with notes. In many ways it was good to actually be motivated and sketch fast everything he was doing on the screen. I did the videos second time around, and followed along with the WORKBOOK KEY. That was a little better. I could pay attention more to what he was doing and nail down concepts.

If I were you, I would print out both of them and just have them handy. WORKBOOK KEY takes less work to follow along. BLANK WORKBOOK takes a lot of effort to follow along but you may benefit from the fast note taking activity. I did. Helped me stay awake and alert.
DaveW

Postby foxam » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:56 am

Anyone else going to this seminar next week?
foxam

Postby Candidat1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:46 pm

The 'at your pace' seminar was amazing. Great overview, application of formulas and rules, ... Really good. I wish I could keep it to review topics as I study more, but the handouts are also great.
Candidat1

Postby foxam » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 pm

I am sorry to keep harping on this but I just recieved an email from Green Education Services regarding the Thaddeus Seminar this weekend saying that David Thaddeus will not be teaching it. Some guy named Michael Boardway is going to be doing it. Anybody heard of this guy? I am fuming because I signed up to take this seminar because David is so highly toughted and I'm having to fly in from Oklahoma so it isn't cheap. :x
foxam

Postby Coach » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:15 pm

foxam wrote:Some guy named Michael Boardway is going to be doing it. Anybody heard of this guy?

I have never seen him in action, but if his marketing material is any indication... snoozefest.
If I were paying for Thaddeus I would want Thaddeus and demand a refund.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby design8d » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:10 pm

I guess it's better than being cancelled all together.

Since you're flying in, I would still go. I'm assuming this substitute will still be using David's study materials - which is worth something in itself. I would consider asking David via email after the seminar if he would throw in his online "at your pace" videos for free. He's a nice guy and I'm sure he would do that for you considering the circumstances. I heard from David a couple weeks ago when he replied to a question I had for him post one of his live seminars. He mentioned something more personal in the email which makes me think the reason he can't make it is pretty legit.
design8d

Postby j.stuff00 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:01 am

I went to a Boardway seminar a few years ago and would not recommend it. Thadeus is the best there is as far as I can tell, and I would not replace it with anybody else. The Boardway Seminar I attended was in all divisions (9) right before it turned into 7 divisions. I am sorry to have to give him a bad review, but I did the same thing you are doing and paid for stay and travel to the seminar. It was not worth it.
j.stuff00

Postby j_kingdc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm

I also signed up for this weekend's workshop and am upset that they switched the professor out three days before. I am also considering cancelling-i've tried to find any info on Broadway and so far not much impressive except for the california orals. I've already contacted the vendor to find out if he will be using Thaddeus' materials and structure. At this point I'm likely going to try to get my money back from them.
j_kingdc

Postby j_kingdc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Green ed serv has just confirmed Boardway will not be using Thaddeus's content (its rights protected.) :(
j_kingdc

Postby foxam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 pm

j_kingdc wrote:I also signed up for this weekend's workshop and am upset that they switched the professor out three days before. I am also considering cancelling-i've tried to find any info on Broadway and so far not much impressive except for the california orals. I've already contacted the vendor to find out if he will be using Thaddeus' materials and structure. At this point I'm likely going to try to get my money back from them.

I am personally in a bad position because I had already purchased non-refundable plane tickets ( one for me and one for a family member to make a trip of it so I am not canceling. I will say I had a long heart to heart with green building services and in my opinion this is there fault. I was told by green ed services that David cancelled due to low attendance. I was very upset at this point so I wrote David an email. He personally called minutes later and I got the real story. He is a great guy btw. Long story short they told David they weren't going to pay him what they were going to because of low attendance and Thaddeus did not accept that offer so they replaced him with someone cheaper. I have been told by green building services that if i go and am not satisfied they will refund my money. Quite frankly I have such a bad attitude about it I'm sure I won't like it. They really screwed us over. All because of $$$$$$.
foxam

Postby foxam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:19 pm

j_kingdc wrote:Green ed serv has just confirmed Boardway will not be using Thaddeus's content (its rights protected.) :(

And yes it is a totally different course. To me it's like buying concert tickets to see your favorite band and a totally different band shows up. I'm not happy!
foxam

Postby j_kingdc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:26 pm

I did end up cancelling and I give green ed credit for giving me a no hassle refund. I will likely try Thaddeus' at your own pace videos even though I know its not the same. I m
very sorry, foxam, about your travel arrangements. I hope it works out for you. If green ed truly did do the swap to save money that is foolishly short sighted.
j_kingdc

Postby design8d » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:59 am

foxam

Sorry to hear what they did that to you, David, and everyone else who signed up for the class. I would try to get my money back then. You paid for Thaddeus and his material - his class is not cheap. I cant believe the vendor would then try to slip someone else in for the same price. They must be absolutely clueless.

I would try to get your money back and then use that money for Thaddeus online at your pace videos.
design8d

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS