PASS

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

PASS

Postby k4dm0nky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that I passed SS. Just came back from a trip to NYC and doing some catching up.

Honestly I am shocked about the pass. I didn't feel too confident over this one.

I was all over with the studying for this one... and I have no clue how I would recommend studying for this one. I studied 2 months prior to the blackout date... I wasn't feeling it and didn't pull the trigger on taking this exam till after the blackout so that was about 4 months of studying for me. I guess one word of advice is just take a deep breath and start somewhere. Also don't be afraid to jump around different materials at different points. I was scattered and not organized in my studying. I started going half way through Kaplan... and jumped into Marc Mitalkski lectures... stopped half way through that, bought a book called Structure in Architecture - The Building of Buildings by Mario Salvadori, 3rd Edition which was the greatest thing I did during my studying. Someone suggested it in a old post some time ago and was raving about if you are struggling with concepts, this is the book. I never though reading about structures would be fun and so easy. The explanations are so simple, and I just got it. Kaplan was just making this worse for me, and once I got this book, it really has reinforced the concepts... there is no formulas in this book, just pure concepts and easy to understand diagrams. The book is a bit dated, as in the looks / graphically layout, but as they say... don't judge a book by its cover. I highly recommend this book if you struggling with just the concepts... I had a hard time putting the book down... go figure that! :D Best thing was it was only 15 bucks! Buy this book guys! It's worth it in my honest opinion. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/013854 ... alarcce-20

Also I highly recommend buying Marc Mitalkski lectures. I went through them TWICE... yes I said TWICE... and watching videos 3 times with the ones I was struggling with. Also after watching his lectures do his EquALs program which is about 300 practice problems to see what you are weak on.

Also I highly recommend doing Kaplan 500 and any Q+A you can get your hands on.

Archiflash cards were good as well if you have them.

I listened to FEMA and B@R audios, those were great while working.

Best of luck to everyone that is trying to slay this beast... it is possible. There were moments where I felt like throwing in the towel just for this one exam, and if structures was not your strength, you will get to that point I promise... but stick through it and you will pass. If I can do this, you can too!

Good luck everyone!

Special thanks to those that helped me, you know who you are! Thanks again!
k4dm0nky

Re: PASS

Postby ukarchi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 am

CONGRATS k4dmonky!!!!!! I've been following your posts and I am so excited for you, I'm sure this pass feels great!

Where did you get the FEMA and B@R audios? I have been looking for any kind of audios for any of the exams so I can listen while at work.
ukarchi

Postby Aragorn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Congrats Monky!!!
What a relief right?!
So what's left for you? You are almost done, right?

A
Aragorn

Postby aa_banned » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Congratulations!

Focus on the concepts and do not get carried away by the complicated calcs, and you should pass. Remember, this is an exam for an architect, not for a PE or SE.
aa_banned

Postby k4dm0nky » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks Aragorn! I have BS left! Last one! :)
k4dm0nky

Postby Aragorn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 am

Cool! Pay attention to the Vignette!
Let me know if you need anything.

A
Aragorn

Postby design8d » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:05 am

Congrats on the pass Monkey! I have structures this week. Hope to have this one behind me soon.

BS isn't that bad. You'll be an architect before you know it!
design8d

Postby k4dm0nky » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks everyone again! Good luck design8d... you are ready for this one and will walk out of the testing center with a sigh of relief!
k4dm0nky

Postby Humble Bumble Bee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Yay, congrats Monky! You're almost there!

Where can I find the FEMA and B@R audio? I do a lot of rocking my baby to sleep and would love to multitask with headphones on. :)
Humble Bumble Bee

Postby DaveW » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Congratulations.
DaveW

Postby kbrsnow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:58 am

Congrats on your pass. I have to admit I found it funny that my studying for this exam pretty much was in parallel with yours and many of the questions I had where already asked by you. Whats your next exam?
kbrsnow

Postby matte » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 am

Congratulations!! Bet that is a relief....
matte

Postby detail4 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Congrats Monky! It is a definite relief to be moving on. Good luck on your prep for Building Systems.
detail4

Postby ssarch25 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Congrats! Also looking for FEMA audio, would be a big help. Thank you!
ssarch25

Postby patjohns » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 am

Congrats! Way to go!
patjohns

Postby phd architect » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:20 am

Big Congrats Monky!!! I recall your SS postings that made me nervous for you but you did it!
phd architect

Postby tinaruiz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:35 am

Congrats on your pass and thanks for the tip on the book by Salvadori. I ended buying "Why buildings stand up" bc "The building of buildings" was close to $40 used. I'm not sure how close the content is between the two but I'm finding it interesting and helpful!
tinaruiz

Postby iDefy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:54 am

Wow! K4dm0nky, you are one person who was sure to pass this one. You seemed to study way more than the scope of it. I feel very nervous but will take all your advice as usual. I have already ordered the book you recommended but I could only afford the 1st edition of it. I guess the concepts would still be the same! Good luck with the BS, you'll manage it well. Keep us posted.
iDefy

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS