Back from the test

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Back from the test

Postby mcheung » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Took the SS test this morning. I want to share my experience with you guys.

My study materials are Kaplan Structual System, Kaplan 500, Ballast Review Manual, Dilip Khatri Structural Exam Module on Youtube (see link below), Jenny's Note, and misc notes on areforum.

In the beginning, I studied concepts and ideas for construction systems, earthquake and wind design. After watching Dilip Khatri, I got more comfortable with doing calculation. I also came up with mnemonics to remember different formulas(not necessary). I spent about 3 weeks preparing. Really turned it up the last 3 days.

The questions they asked were mostly about concepts. There are a couple where I know the answer right away but most I have to make educated guesses based on my understandings. I'm comfortable with my guesses but there are a few I'm a little iffy about.

The vignette is similar to the NCARB practice.

Overall, you should have a clear understanding of how to pick a structure and how this construct this structure on the ground to resist earthquake and wind. There's a lot of questions I never seen before but was able to deduce the answers from my understanding. I hope this helps. Glad to get this out of my system. Still got PPP, CD, BS, SPD + Cali

Dilip Khatri Structural Exam Module
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsroawN ... hKW2Q9AODo
Last edited by Coach on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disclosed content
mcheung

Re: Back from the test

Postby lalutt05 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Just for posting that link.... You are my favorite person today! I'm only on the second video and feeling much more relaxed for my test next Wednesday!
lalutt05

Postby mcheung » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:42 am

He is a wonderful teacher. His videos really show and explain these processes for me. Good luck with the test!
mcheung

Postby tinaruiz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Thank you for the information and best of luck!
tinaruiz

Postby mcheung » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:04 am

After 8 days, I got my test result back and it's a PASS!
mcheung

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS