how old is too old regarding study guides?

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

how old is too old regarding study guides?

Postby debbiemac » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 am

I have been studying Structures from several old guides (mainly Kaplan) I used and received as hand-me-downs when I first took this test in the pleistocene era before it became one test. I need some coaching and advice - do I buy a new guide (Kaplan? PPI? Ballast? etc.) today to be totally current or keep plugging along and realize that lots of the information is constant? OR does anyone have recent materials they would like to sell? Thank you!
debbiemac

Re: how old is too old regarding study guides?

Postby kbrsnow » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:52 pm

I have compared the new and the old. I have a study guide from ARE Seminar - general structure which was bought out by Kaplan and I have a Kaplan 2009 study guide. The general structures and lateral forces information are similar if not the same. The references to the codes along with the wind and earthquake calculations are different. I believe the newer editions incorporate the 2009 IBC in their study guides now.
kbrsnow

Postby Mike-SE » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:25 pm

The exam is based on ASCE 7-05. Check your references, if the list 7-05 as the basis for the book you are good. If it lists 7-02 you are 95% okay and buying new books is not necessary. If they reference 7-98, throw them away.
A book using 7-02 will have incorrect load combinations for concrete.
Mike-SE

Postby debbiemac » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks to both of you for your help!
debbiemac

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS