David Thaddeus vs Marc Mitalski online course?

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

David Thaddeus vs Marc Mitalski online course?

Postby kmelville » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm

So, this will be my next exam... and I want to go at it as soon as I am done with test #4.

Passed- CDS, BDCS, and PPP
Pending SPD on 9/23/2013

In college, I didn't do my best... but passed Structures 1, 2, and 3 [B-. C, and C] just because I didn't focus on it due to studio. So this one is the BIG SCARY TEST to me... I really want to see what other peoples thoughts are on both of these online courses. I am leaning towards the Marc Mitalski @ prepare.us just because it has 300+ sample problems and solutions. If you have taken one, please let me know how you liked it...
kmelville

Re: David Thaddeus vs Marc Mitalski online course?

Postby k4dm0nky » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:49 pm

I took Marc's course... it was rough for me to watch, it isn't his fault, its the material in my opinion it was hard to follow along the first time. The second time I got a lot out of it personally cause things started to click when I was reinforcing with other study materials. His EquALs system I felt was great, and if I had to pick between the two, I would pick Marc's just for the questions. I thought I learned a lot from his Q+A. Not knocking on Thaddeus as I never took his course, but I hear nothing but praise and good things from people that took his course as well. Just pick one and you cant go wrong here... I just liked the additional practice I got from Marc's Q+A and felt it was a great learning tool as he has supplemental videos in some problems explaining how to solve them.

Best of luck and study on!
k4dm0nky

Postby o2b4wln » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I've taken both and am getting ready to take the test next week.

Thaddeus and Mitalksi are both excellent teachers and you will learn a lot in each. The concern I had with Thaddeus is because it's live and you have a grueling weekend to go over a lot of information there is not a lot of time to stop and ask questions. That's not a knock on the seminars they are absolutely wonderful, you just have a lot of information to cover. I liked Mitalski because of the on-line factor. I can watch the videos at my own pace and absorb the info as fast or as slow as I want.

You can't go wrong with either one, both are excellent.
o2b4wln

Postby k4dm0nky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:16 am

Just to also mention Thaddeus now offers an online lecture.
k4dm0nky

Postby kmelville » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 am

k4dm0nky – thanks for you comments! I have always learned best with practice tests and solution review, so it looks like Marc Mitalski it is!! A little bit more of an investment, but I would rather take this SS test only once!

O2b4win – Good luck on your test! Just wondering, how long have you studied for this test? I am planning on 4 weeks (which is more time then any other test I have studies for so far).
kmelville

Postby mjbarchi » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:10 pm

i purchased Thaddeus 'at your pace' online seminar. its a 45 days pass, i started with these first before i dig into any of the usual suspects (kaplan, ballasts, etc.) i like Thaddeus online seminar a lot, doing this first makes it easier to understand the materials on kaplan and ballast study guide. the only thing is, there are over 30 hours of viewing time for all the materials, so you really need the time to go through all. i did this over the blackout, it took me about 2 weeks to finished viewing all 30 hrs the thing i like most is that i can rewind and review anything i am not getting the first time around. i am about to take the exam in a couple of weeks. i have not done mitalski's so i couldn't say.
so, yeah, my vote is for thaddeus. and its cheaper too, by $100 if i am not mistaken.
mjbarchi

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS