Just Tested Structures

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Just Tested Structures

Postby mjf185 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Lots of WTF questions.

Like people have told me...it's much more heavily weighted to concepts rather than calcs.
Some calc type questions were straightforward, and only a couple were the multiple step variety.
Understand Modulus of elasticity, moment of inertia, section modulus, understand K (kl/r), wind, seismic, how different loadings look in diagram.
Be able to write out all the needed equations. I did that first thing at the test center and it was helpful to refer to during the exam.
There are some equations, charts available, but they're kind of a pain to access....easier just to know the big equations and rules-of-thumb.
I used the entire time...didnt feel like I had enough time to review answers.

the vignette seemed easy...just dont get cocky like I almost did. pay attention and use a methodical system. I took 30 minutes, and that was after reviewing, reviewing, reviewing...
dont mess with bearing walls - just use columns and beams and make it easier on yourself.

I studied:
Read FEMA ch 4, 5, 8, and 9
Kaplan 2006 - used for practice exams. Not really recommended because so much is duplicated in 2009 kaplan
Kaplan 2009 - This was one of my best resources,....practice exams, practice and more practice
PPI book - this one helped get me started. The kaplan books were too dense for me at first.
Buildings at Risk (wind and seismic) - wish I reviewed more wind calcs
read over mike's notes
read over jenny's notes
printed out a weld symbols chart and would glance at it every once in awhile....turned out to be not that necessary

I took the 3 day Thaddeus course (in-person). ***HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!*** really helped get me kickstarted, gave me a focus, and eased my anxieties.
In addition to the Thaddeus course, I studied about 2-3 hours daily for 3.5 weeks, plus all day (8+ hours) on weekends.
I feel like I needed even MORE study time (but you may be a structural wiz, I'm not).
I really focused on steel and concrete...needed more knowledge of wood, wind, and architectural minutia that only a jeopardy contestant or wikipedia would know.

I pray sincerely that I have passed this exam.
I left that testing center feeling exhausted

I've taken 4 exams - passed 3, and this was the most intense so far. (passed CDS, SPD, BS. Failed PPP)
BDCS is next.
mjf185

Re: Just Tested Structures

Postby acadia » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:26 pm

good luck and congratulations on all your progress!!
acadia

Postby tinaruiz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:45 pm

I hope you passed...thank you for your insight!
tinaruiz

Postby mjf185 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:05 am

sorry I didnt post this on here earlier....I passed :)) prayers were answered!
mjf185

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS