Vignette - Clerestory window question

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette - Clerestory window question

Postby Mestresala » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Two questions:
1. The clerestory window is not indicated graphically in the plan and we just need to be aware of its location as specified in the program so we can place a beam below it, right?
2. If the upper roof joists are PARALLEL to the clerestory window, do we need to place a beam above the clerestory window too?

I guess I'm a little confused by this statement on Norman Dorf's book:
"Double check that you remember in which direction the clerestory is facing. Locating it on the wrong wall may be fatal. As the support for the roof decking and the clerestory weight will be required above and below this item".

Thanks!
Mestresala

Re: Vignette - Clerestory window question

Postby Mike-SE » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Please do not use Dorf's book for the vignette. It is very out of date. Following it will probably cause a fatal error in the 4.0 vignette.
Please read my vignette guide, it addresses your question.
Mike-SE

Postby Mestresala » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:21 pm

Ok. I guess your advice about the Dorf's book also applies to the correct direction for joists...
Thank you!
L
Mestresala

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Mestresala wrote:Two questions:
1. The clerestory window is not indicated graphically in the plan and we just need to be aware of its location as specified in the program so we can place a beam below it, right?

Yes.

2. If the upper roof joists are PARALLEL to the clerestory window, do we need to place a beam above the clerestory window too?

No.

I guess I'm a little confused by this statement on Norman Dorf's book:
"Double check that you remember in which direction the clerestory is facing. Locating it on the wrong wall may be fatal. As the support for the roof decking and the clerestory weight will be required above and below this item".

If joists are parallel they support the edge of roof. A beam is only required above clerestory if carrying joists.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Mestresala » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks Coach!
Mestresala

Postby nana_ny » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 pm

[quote="Coach"][quote="Mestresala"]:

No.

Glad I found this post, because Thaddeus (who bases on Dorf) wrote in one of slides: "CLERESTORY must have BEAM below it for support and a BEAM above it to support roof". I'm going with what you say Coach and presuming it was a typo and it should have read "...BEAM or JOIST above it to support roof". Exam tomorrow, failed vignette and laterals last time so these details are super-mount for me. Either I'm done tomorrow, or fall out of rolling clock and have to retake two exams :mrgreen: .
nana_ny

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS