SS vignette - first attempt

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

SS vignette - first attempt

Postby FLM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 am

I'd appreciate any feedback on my first attempt at the NCARB SS vignette--testing on May 5. This seems simple, but I feel like I could be missing something.

I limited the bearing walls are at the exterior perimeter walls. Mike's Structural guide recommends an all-steel solution, but bearing walls seemed to make sense there.

Mike also suggests that if no span limits are included, then not to follow rules of thumb for spans. I felt like it was safer to include intermediate columns to break up the 52'-8" span along the Common Room, and more economical in terms of beam size. I also drew the beams as continuous over the intermediate columns, which Mike recommends against, but not sure if NCARB differentiates between simple and continuous spans.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 12.41.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 12.40.51 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FLM

Re: SS vignette - first attempt

Postby Coach » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:16 pm

FLM wrote:I limited the bearing walls are at the exterior perimeter walls. Mike's Structural guide recommends an all-steel solution, but bearing walls seemed to make sense there.

I wouldn't use bearing walls at all.

Mike also suggests that if no span limits are included, then not to follow rules of thumb for spans.

That doesn't sound right, and bad advice is he really said that.

I also drew the beams as continuous over the intermediate columns,

I wouldn't do that.

Columns at northeast of shop 2 are unnecessary.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby BigDogVT » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Bi-ig Doggggg...

Just to elaborate on Coach's comments...

1) The rule of thumb in here is: just stick with columns and beams - obviously your solution is sound, but just go with columns and beams - too many horror stories and extra stuff to worry about.
2) Follow rules of thumb for spans, there's no reason not to (30-40' beams, 20-30' joist-eses); also, did Mike really say that? I didn't read his vignette PDF.
3) You CAN draw beams continuously...NCARB states this on their official vignette video. With that said, I did not. Why? I don't know.
4) As Coach said, you have one too many columns than you need on the north side of the Common Area. Obviously locating the one on the right side of the Seating Area makes more sense since the Kitchen is a little longer than the Toilet Room and therefore your beam sizes are more efficient.
5) Everything else is most excellent.
6) Because I did not, as an additional tip to remember, always be sure to lay a sweet, gentle beam under that clerestory!

-BD,r
BigDogVT

Postby FLM » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:40 am

Thanks for the comments. Looking back on it, I think I misread Mike's take on rules of thumb regarding spans--he includes some commentary from NCARB that I totally missed before.

I included the extra columns for economy, based on some of Mike's suggestions, and the idea that longer (and thus deeper/heavier) beams are more expensive than additional columns. It sounds like the consensus, though, is to do as few columns as possible without exceeding the span rules of thumb. And it sounds like the consensus is to do simple beams rather than continuous.

As to the clerestory on the north wall, the beam running the length of the north wall in the Lower Level Common Room handles the clerestory as well, correct?
FLM

Postby spike » Sun May 07, 2017 11:24 pm

if you sketch a section through the clear story you will see where you would need beams.
spike

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS