Interior Vignette - First Attempts

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Interior Vignette - First Attempts

Postby sshust15 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Hey guys! Testing in a few weeks and have come up with two schemes for the interior vignette from the web-based NCARB program. I feel like I might be stuck with the web version as the downloaded version with the Citrix Receiver requires an account setup that wants me to enter a work email or server address. I cannot figure out how to get past this issue as any server I attempt requires a name and password to which I have no luck getting through. Any pointers on that would be appreciated!

Onto my attempts, I did two different vignettes. Each pretty different.

Interior 1 is set up similar to the sample solution. A couple questions I had on this one:
-The SO has the direct access door to LCR partially in front of the window. Is that loss of points or is it ok?
-JO is exactly 2:1 in terms of dimensions. It looks very narrow but is it ok?
-Would any points have been lost if the door to the LCR had been placed adjacent to the JO rather than where it is now? The reason I ask is because I originally had the LCR mirrored but then overlapping the approach boxes between LCR and JO seemed wrong. Would I have been ok that way?

Interior 2 is set up similar to the failing solution but I wanted to see if I could make it work. I am pretty close in a few areas but I think I cleared everything.
-Can I put the lateral filing cabinets against the window as shown?
-Is it ok to have 3 sides of the work table floating?
-Did I create too much of a hallway for the room access or is it still considered open?
-Do I need to relocate/rotate the conference table to make it work on that north end or is it cleared?

A couple general questions:
-Is it automatic fail if clearance is not met everywhere?
-I was able to get both schemes done in under an hour, including a quick review. What is the general consensus on how long it should take to get the layout all done with enough time to review?
-How do you layout your sketch circles before laying out the spaces? Do you wrap around the vacant space? Put it all to one side?

Thanks for the help guys! (Vignettes are out of order, 2 is before 1! Sorry)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sshust15

Re: Interior Vignette - First Attempts

Postby Coach » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm

sshust15 wrote:Hey guys! Testing in a few weeks and have come up with two schemes for the interior vignette from the web-based NCARB program. I feel like I might be stuck with the web version as the downloaded version with the Citrix Receiver requires an account setup that wants me to enter a work email or server address. I cannot figure out how to get past this issue as any server I attempt requires a name and password to which I have no luck getting through. Any pointers on that would be appreciated!

I have no idea what you're talking about. The software download is here: https://www.ncarb.org/sites/default/fil ... sSetup.exe

Interior 1 is set up similar to the sample solution. A couple questions I had on this one:
-The SO has the direct access door to LCR partially in front of the window. Is that loss of points or is it ok?

Not an issue.

-JO is exactly 2:1 in terms of dimensions. It looks very narrow but is it ok?

Shape and proportions are not an issue in IL.

-Would any points have been lost if the door to the LCR had been placed adjacent to the JO rather than where it is now? The reason I ask is because I originally had the LCR mirrored but then overlapping the approach boxes between LCR and JO seemed wrong. Would I have been ok that way?

Push side clearances may overlap. Why would that be a problem?

Interior 2 is set up similar to the failing solution but I wanted to see if I could make it work. I am pretty close in a few areas but I think I cleared everything.
-Can I put the lateral filing cabinets against the window as shown?

Furniture may be put in front of windows.

-Is it ok to have 3 sides of the work table floating?

Why not?

-Did I create too much of a hallway for the room access or is it still considered open?

If proper access and clearances are provided there is no issue.

-Do I need to relocate/rotate the conference table to make it work on that north end or is it cleared?

If access is provide to everything, including connecting door, it's fine.

A couple general questions:
-Is it automatic fail if clearance is not met everywhere?

Some clearances are more important than others. For example, if a room door does not have correct access, then entire room is inaccessible. Naturally, that's a lot worse than having one chair without access. Mistakes add up.

-I was able to get both schemes done in under an hour, including a quick review. What is the general consensus on how long it should take to get the layout all done with enough time to review?

If you're consistently getting practice done in 45 minutes, you should be ready. Of course, that means complete solutions -- reading and notes included -- and doing different solutions, not simply repeating what you've already done.

-How do you layout your sketch circles before laying out the spaces? Do you wrap around the vacant space? Put it all to one side?

Whatever works for you.

Place doors one snap min from corner.
I would resist the temptation of rotating large conf table as an early strategy.

Both look good.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Interior Vignette - First Attempts

Postby sshust15 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 am

Coach thank you so much for that link! I must have been downloading it from the wrong link prior. Appreciate the assist!
sshust15

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN