BL - first completed attempt

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

BL - first completed attempt

Postby kacalac » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:10 pm

It took me quite a few attempts to complete this layout. Eventually I tried the bubble diagram and it was extremely helpful.

Any comments would be appreciated, thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kacalac

Re: BL - first completed attempt

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:17 am

Logically EE belongs on the lower level adjacent to E.
Move the lower level interior door from the stair to corridor to the east and you eliminate potential problems. Also the exterior exit near the east stair is redundant...the stair IS an exit.
Avoid L-shaped rooms.
Sparky83

Postby kacalac » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 am

Thank you. I'm also wondering if the corridor leading to the LM is longer than 20', that would be considered a dead end, correct?
kacalac

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:56 am

kacalac wrote:Thank you. I'm also wondering if the corridor leading to the LM is longer than 20', that would be considered a dead end, correct?

It's fine.
Sparky83

Postby tiredofthis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 pm

I have no idea how they grade these things, but here's my two cents from the real world:

1. The doors on the East stairway seem weird. If the landings are on the ends and the exit is to grade, the exterior door should be closer to the end of the stair. The door into the stair would be on the same landing, not the opposite side.

2. Do we know that the elevator machine room has to be on the first floor? A hydraulic elevator would need that, but the electrics don't. I've been putting it on the first floor to be safe, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Hope I didn't just confuse you more,

Good luck on the test
tiredofthis

Postby Coach » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:44 pm

tiredofthis wrote:1. The doors on the East stairway seem weird. If the landings are on the ends and the exit is to grade, the exterior door should be closer to the end of the stair. The door into the stair would be on the same landing, not the opposite side.

North door location is a problem. Beyond that, stair that's 8' min clear (based on practice code) with doors at any corner works.

2. Do we know that the elevator machine room has to be on the first floor? A hydraulic elevator would need that, but the electrics don't. I've been putting it on the first floor to be safe, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

It's good design logic but not critical. Being adjacent to elevator is more important.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby kacalac » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 am

Thank you, I appreciate any input.

tiredofthis wrote:I have no idea how they grade these things, but here's my two cents from the real world:

1. The doors on the East stairway seem weird. If the landings are on the ends and the exit is to grade, the exterior door should be closer to the end of the stair. The door into the stair would be on the same landing, not the opposite side.

It's definitely peculiar and I realized afterwards. Thats why I am happy to have people look over it, it'll remind me to double check my work.

If the program stated to keep those two together I would have (and understand in reality they should be together), but with this exam I just do what they require and the rest is a free for all. I find if I start to use reason I make it more difficult for myself. Like stacking the Toilet Rooms, makes sense in reality but in this exam it just made it more difficult for me to solve. I was using logic for my first few attempts and I was not completing the puzzle, once I just filled their requirement and stopped worrying about it making sense I was able to finish.

Hope I didn't just confuse you more,

Not at all, happy to brainstorm anything!

Good luck on the test

Thank you! I take the exam tomorrow morning, hoping its my last!
kacalac

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN