BL Attempt #2 - day before the exam!

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

BL Attempt #2 - day before the exam!

Postby teelee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 am

One question--on the second floor I had a scenario where I had 2 L-shape corridors coming together at a very slight jog. I had to create 2 wall openings with a "post" in between them. I assume this is fine as long as the 3' clearance is maintained between the openings. Has anyone ever encountered this situation before?

Thanks.

BL-2_First-Floor.jpg

BL-2-Second-Floor.jpg

BL-2-Second-Floor_ZOOM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teelee

Re: BL Attempt #2 - day before the exam!

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm

teelee wrote:One question--on the second floor I had a scenario where I had 2 L-shape corridors coming together at a very slight jog. I had to create 2 wall openings with a "post" in between them. I assume this is fine as long as the 3' clearance is maintained between the openings. NO!!! There is no "3' clearance" requirement. Corridors MUST be 6' clear.
There is no reason to do this.
Has anyone ever encountered this situation before?

Thanks.

Why are there interior windows in GR?
Avoid L-shaped rooms.
Why are the LR's different sizes?
R view of the CR door is marginal at such a steep viewing angle.
Sparky83

Postby teelee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks. I will def. avoid this at all costs and have a much cleaner solution during the exam.

Will L-shaped rooms be penalized for not achieving "sound design logic"? I imagine this would be a minor penalty if so.

Is the R and CR view connection better in the example below? Thanks!

BL---R-CR-View.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teelee

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:27 pm

teelee wrote:Thanks. I will def. avoid this at all costs and have a much cleaner solution during the exam.

Will L-shaped rooms be penalized for not achieving "sound design logic"? I imagine this would be a minor penalty if so.

Is the R and CR view connection better in the example below? Thanks!

In that solution, why do you have windows between R and CR?
Sparky83

Postby teelee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Per the brandonpass PDF, he recommends using windows for visual control: http://arehelp.webs.com/Brandonpass%20n ... n%20SD.pdf

The NCARB passing solution does not use windows, however, AND has poor visual connection between the doors of R and CR. This seems like a gray area...

A couple of other things I noticed in the NCARB passing solution--are double doors from the L necessary? Is an exit at the end of the corridor necessary if exits to the exterior are already provided through the stairs?

BL---NCARB-markup.jpg
teelee

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:01 pm

teelee wrote:Per the brandonpass PDF, he recommends using windows for visual control: http://arehelp.webs.com/Brandonpass%20n ... n%20SD.pdf Interior windows should be used for visual control. Visual control of WHAT?

The NCARB passing solution does not use windows, however, AND has poor visual connection between the doors of R and CR. This seems like a gray area... Actually it does, they are just hard to see. The R door location doesn't matter.

A couple of other things I noticed in the NCARB passing solution--are double doors from the L necessary? No.Is an exit at the end of the corridor necessary if exits to the exterior are already provided through the stairs? No.

Sparky83

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN