INT Alt 1

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

INT Alt 1

Postby teelee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40 am

First try for Alt 1.

A few questions:
1. I read somewhere that NCARB allows 1'6" clearance in front of the executive desks. Is this true?
2. Is it a minor error if one forgets to rotate the furniture to the correct orientation? I just noticed my armchairs in the RBO and SO and bookcases in LCR and SO...
3. Would not providing the appropriate clearances in the CR room as I have laid it out result in failing the vignette (work table and copier does not have the full 3' clearance)?

INTERIOR LAYOUT VIGNETTE – ALTERNATE #1

1. Reception/Business Office (RBO)

• Clear view of Suite's main entrance from a secretarial desk
• The only space to be used for circulation and all rooms must have direct access to it.
• Furniture
• 1 secretary desk
• 1 lateral file
• 4 lounge chairs (alt. furniture file: 2 lounge chairs, 1 loveseat OR 1 lounge chair, 1 lounge sofa)
• 1 round coffee table

2. Mr. Jones' Office (JO)

• Must have an exterior window
• Direct access to Library and Conference Room
• Furniture
• 1 executive desk
• 1 credenza
• 1 table for four
• 2 large bookcases

3. Ms. Smith's Office (SO)

• Must have an exterior window
• Furniture
• 1 executive desk
• 2 lateral files (alt furniture file: 1 lateral file, 1 vertical file)
• 2 arm chairs
• 1 square coffee table
• 1 large bookcase

4. Library and Conference Room (LCR)

• Furniture
• 1 conference table (alt. furniture file - Conference Table for 10)
• 2 large bookcases

5. Copy Room (CR)

• Furniture
• 1 copier
• 1 work table
• 1 storage cabinet
• 2 small bookcases

IL-ALT-1_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teelee

Re: INT Alt 1

Postby Coach » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 pm

teelee wrote:1. I read somewhere that NCARB allows 1'6" clearance in front of the executive desks. Is this true?

I wouldn't use that because it's contrary to the code.
My advice: For exec desks, provide 36" access to at least 50% of front of desk. If seating faces desk, provide 36" min. Chairs and smaller items like files and bookcases can be perpendicular to desk against wall as long as they clear the projected line tangent to the rounded front. If that worries you, use 18" beyond the tangent.

2. Is it a minor error if one forgets to rotate the furniture to the correct orientation? I just noticed my armchairs in the RBO and SO and bookcases in LCR and SO...

Minor or not, they add up. You have 7 such items. If that alone doesn't cause a level 3 vignette, I would have to believe it's a level 2.

3. Would not providing the appropriate clearances in the CR room as I have laid it out result in failing the vignette (work table and copier does not have the full 3' clearance)?

It all adds up.

Southwest T44 inaccessible.
LCR bookcases and northeast chair inaccessible.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby teelee » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks, coach.

I don't understand the LCR clearances. It seems like the bookcases and all chairs (included NE chair) are accessible from either side of the table.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teelee

Postby Coach » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 am

Measure space between middle chair and bookcase.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby teelee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:08 am

Ah, thank you. That's tricky! The middle conference chairs (oriented orthogonally to the table) stick out further than the corner chairs (that are oriented at the sliiiightest diagonal to the table).
teelee

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN