First try - INTERIOR LAYOUT 4.0

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

First try - INTERIOR LAYOUT 4.0

Postby teelee » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Hello!

I am ashamed to say that this took me 3 hours, granted over the course of 3 consecutive days since I got frustrated and work full time, but what am I missing here?!? I finally had to reference someone else's solution on the forum but hopefully, it gets more intuitive from here. It would be nice to be able to use some trace...

Also a few questions:

1. We need to maintain the 48" push clearance at the given front entry door, correct?
2. One should always default to using a 36" door to satisfy the code minimum of 32" clear, correct?
3. Is it okay to have the door leaf butt up against a wall as I have it in the SO office?
4. Is not including a piece of furniture considered a major or automatic fail?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teelee

Re: First try - INTERIOR LAYOUT 4.0

Postby Coach » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 am

teelee wrote:1. We need to maintain the 48" push clearance at the given front entry door, correct?

Of course.

2. One should always default to using a 36" door to satisfy the code minimum of 32" clear, correct?

Yes.

3. Is it okay to have the door leaf butt up against a wall as I have it in the SO office?

I recommend one snap min from wall.

4. Is not including a piece of furniture considered a major or automatic fail?

Depends on the piece. Don't plan on leaving anything out.

CFAs start at hinge, not wall.
Pull side CFA rectangles are sized incorrectly.
Square coffee table in wrong room.
Southern conf table chair is inaccessible.
South SO chair is inaccessible.
Most of JO is inaccessible.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby teelee » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:34 am

Thanks for your reply! A couple of response questions below:

I don't understand why most of JO is inaccessible. I have provided the 3' clearance into the room and around the 4 person table in one direction and a 3' clearance into the zone around the other side of the 4 person table.

I don't understand why South chair in SO is inaccessible. Is it because the 3' clearance path leading to it conflicts with the CFA of the door swing? I think NCARB considers this a minor mistake, correct?

Thanks.
teelee

Postby fare75 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 am

teelee wrote:Thanks for your reply! A couple of response questions below:

I don't understand why most of JO is inaccessible. I have provided the 3' clearance into the room and around the 4 person table in one direction and a 3' clearance into the zone around the other side of the 4 person table.

I don't understand why South chair in SO is inaccessible. Is it because the 3' clearance path leading to it conflicts with the CFA of the door swing? I think NCARB considers this a minor mistake, correct?

Thanks.

It’s normal to spend 2+ hr at the very first attempt :mrgreen:

Did you use 4’ square to check for clearance at the pull side? Should be a 5’ square.
Avoid placing door at the middle of the wall...waste a lot of circulation space
fare75

Postby Coach » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:47 pm

teelee wrote:I don't understand why most of JO is inaccessible. I have provided the 3' clearance into the room and around the 4 person table in one direction and a 3' clearance into the zone around the other side of the 4 person table.

You don't have 3' on south side between chairs.

I don't understand why South chair in SO is inaccessible. Is it because the 3' clearance path leading to it conflicts with the CFA of the door swing?

You need 3' from end of open door to desk.

I think NCARB considers this a minor mistake, correct?

Multiple minor errors fail.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby teelee » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks!
teelee

Postby teelee » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:31 pm

fare75 wrote:
teelee wrote:Thanks for your reply! A couple of response questions below:

Thanks.

It’s normal to spend 2+ hr at the very first attempt :mrgreen:

Did you use 4’ square to check for clearance at the pull side? Should be a 5’ square.
Avoid placing door at the middle of the wall...waste a lot of circulation space

Eeek it was a very discouraging first try so thanks for the response! -- Yep, Coach pointed out that I had the wrong pull side clearance, thanks.
teelee

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN