Door swing clearance question

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Door swing clearance question

Postby lesliediane » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Hi,

I've read somewhere on this forum that the door swing may not overlap the clearance of a different door. However, the exam Code states it this way: "No door, when open to 90 degrees, shall interfere with the maneuvering clearance of another door." It appears then, that the swing can overlap another door clearance, just not the leaf itself. Anyone have clarification? Thanks.
lesliediane

Re: Door swing clearance question

Postby atmosquare » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 am

"When open to 90 degrees" can mean that it is already open at 90 degrees as you suggest,
but it could also mean "when openING to 90 degrees". In another words, not the state of
being open but the act of opening. Does that make sense?

In any case, this is not a risk worth taking. Avoid everything in the door swing.

NCARB stated that it's a minor error to overlap doorswings with wheelchair clearances,
so it's probably for the best to assume anything overlapping doorswings is an error.
atmosquare

Postby lesliediane » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:27 am

Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense that it could be interpreted that way. Too bad it's not more clear--time to retry some alternates!

Leslie
lesliediane

Postby smithce5 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:33 pm

I have a different, yet somewhat related question -- Can the door swing take place in the 36" clearance area in front of furniture? For examples: I have a 36" clearance in front of a bookcase, however the corner of the clearance is interrupted by the door swing. Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smithce5

Postby lesliediane » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:07 pm

smithce5 wrote:Can the door swing take place in the 36" clearance area in front of furniture? For examples: I have a 36" clearance in front of a bookcase, however the corner of the clearance is interrupted by the door swing.

I think I read somewhere that the swing can't interfere with the clearance in front of furniture. (I did this once on one of my attempts.) Try to avoid it.
lesliediane

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN