Interior Layout - 1st try

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Interior Layout - 1st try

Postby smithce5 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:46 pm

This is my first try at the interior layout - I would really appreciate any feedback and comments you may have to offer. Thank you so much for your help!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smithce5

Re: Interior Layout - 1st try

Postby lesliediane » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:03 pm

Hello,

A few things:

Don't place furniture behind a door. The door and door swing cannot interfere with clearances.
Your T44 in JO does not work--there must be 3' clearance between the back of the south chair and the credenza. (Remember--if the chair is the destination, you need 3' behind edge of table, but if you have to pass behind the chair to get to another chair or other furniture, you need 3' behind back of chair.)
I wouldn't put the arm chairs facing the SO. I would put their backs against the wall.
Just FYI, 5' circles can't overlap door swings. It appears you still have it in CR, but, as I said, the door is blocking the storage cabinet clearance.
lesliediane

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:01 pm

lesliediane wrote:Hello,

A few things:

Don't place furniture behind a door. The door and door swing cannot interfere with clearances.
Your T44 in JO does not work--there must be 3' clearance between the back of the south chair and the credenza. (Remember--if the chair is the destination, you need 3' behind edge of table, but if you have to pass behind the chair to get to another chair or other furniture, you need 3' behind back of chair.)
I wouldn't put the arm chairs facing the SO. I would put their backs against the wall.
Just FYI, 5' circles can't overlap door swings. There is nothing in the code or program that says this. It appears you still have it in CR, but, as I said, the door is blocking the storage cabinet clearance.

LCR door should swing into LCR. LCR door swing overlaps the clearance of the SO door. This is specifically not allowed, and makes SO inaccessible. Fatal.
Sparky83

Postby smithce5 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Thank you so much for the help!!
smithce5

Postby lesliediane » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
lesliediane wrote:Just FYI, 5' circles can't overlap door swings. There is nothing in the code or program that says this. It appears you still have it in CR, but, as I said, the door is blocking the storage cabinet clearance.

Sparky,
It may not be in the code, but it was specifically stated by an NCARB representative on their blog:

"Is it OK if the required wheelchair turning space overlaps with the door swing? No, the door should be able to complete its full range of motion without impacting the necessary clear turning radius of a wheelchair. The clear turning radius can overlap other areas of the clear floor area at doors but should not interfere with the door swing."

https://www.ncarb.org/blog/are-insights-faqs-part-ii
lesliediane

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:04 am

lesliediane wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:
lesliediane wrote:Just FYI, 5' circles can't overlap door swings. There is nothing in the code or program that says this. It appears you still have it in CR, but, as I said, the door is blocking the storage cabinet clearance.

Sparky,
It may not be in the code, but it was specifically stated by an NCARB representative on their blog:

"Is it OK if the required wheelchair turning space overlaps with the door swing? No, the door should be able to complete its full range of motion without impacting the necessary clear turning radius of a wheelchair. The clear turning radius can overlap other areas of the clear floor area at doors but should not interfere with the door swing."

https://www.ncarb.org/blog/are-insights-faqs-part-ii

NCARB's blog is not a part of the exam and will not be available in the testing center.
Sparky83

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN