Interior Layout Feedback Please

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Interior Layout Feedback Please

Postby nidagm » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Please see my try on interior layout. I have two questions. First, do I need 5 ft. in front of the work table? As you see, in my solution, I don't have 5 ft (I have 4'-6" at the portion of the work table where it is across the lateral files cabinets). Second, please look at the conference room door. I understand that it is not acceptable accessibility wise as is. In this case, what are my options? If I change the direction of the door, a portion of the cabinet will be behind the door. However, I assume it is still better than inhibiting circulation, correct? However, then the portion of the cabinet will not be accessible. One can think of opening the door outside of the room, but I assume it is a no-no (unless allowed by the code). How about if I leave out that furniture? I don't think I can open the door outside of the door (or can I since in this example it would help me avoid both accessibility issues). So should I change the direction and leave a portion of the furniture inaccessible OR delete that one furniture? Is it an automatic fail to leave out a minor furniture or just downgrade? I guess I am trying to figure out the lesser of two evils with a minimum impact on grading. Thanks in advance for your comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nidagm

Re: Interior Layout Feedback Please

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:30 am

nidagm wrote:Please see my try on interior layout. I have two questions. First, do I need 5 ft. in front of the work table? No. There is no such requirement in the code or program.As you see, in my solution, I don't have 5 ft (I have 4'-6" at the portion of the work table where it is across the lateral files cabinets). Second, please look at the conference room door. I understand that it is not acceptable accessibility wise as is.Why not? Looks like everything is accessible. In this case, what are my options? If I change the direction of the door, a portion of the cabinet will be behind the door. However, I assume it is still better than inhibiting circulation, correct? However, then the portion of the cabinet will not be accessible. One can think of opening the door outside of the room, but I assume it is a no-no (unless allowed by the code). How about if I leave out that furniture? I don't think I can open the door outside of the door (or can I since in this example it would help me avoid both accessibility issues). So should I change the direction and leave a portion of the furniture inaccessible OR delete that one furniture? Neither. Is it an automatic fail to leave out a minor furniture or just downgrade? I guess I am trying to figure out the lesser of two evils with a minimum impact on grading. Thanks in advance for your comments.

NO access from SO to RBO. MAJOR error.
Sparky83

Postby nidagm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
nidagm wrote:Please see my try on interior layout. I have two questions. First, do I need 5 ft. in front of the work table? No. There is no such requirement in the code or program.As you see, in my solution, I don't have 5 ft (I have 4'-6" at the portion of the work table where it is across the lateral files cabinets). Second, please look at the conference room door. I understand that it is not acceptable accessibility wise as is.Why not? Looks like everything is accessible. In this case, what are my options? If I change the direction of the door, a portion of the cabinet will be behind the door. However, I assume it is still better than inhibiting circulation, correct? However, then the portion of the cabinet will not be accessible. One can think of opening the door outside of the room, but I assume it is a no-no (unless allowed by the code). How about if I leave out that furniture? I don't think I can open the door outside of the door (or can I since in this example it would help me avoid both accessibility issues). So should I change the direction and leave a portion of the furniture inaccessible OR delete that one furniture? Neither. Is it an automatic fail to leave out a minor furniture or just downgrade? I guess I am trying to figure out the lesser of two evils with a minimum impact on grading. Thanks in advance for your comments.

NO access from SO to RBO. MAJOR error.

Thanks for your comments, Sparky. You said everything seems accessible at LCR, but there is not enough room (3 feet) between door and the conference table (check out the the circle in the table). That is why I was asking whether it was ok to open the door outside. Is it ok?

I also have one last question. in JO, do chairs (next to credenza) interfere with accessibility? It kind of reminded me of NCARB's failing solution there.
nidagm

Postby Coach » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:42 pm

nidagm wrote:Sparky. You said everything seems accessible at LCR, but there is not enough room (3 feet) between door and the conference table (check out the the circle in the table).

You can access the west side of the room by going around the table.

I also have one last question. in JO, do chairs (next to credenza) interfere with accessibility?

Doesn't everything have 3' access?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby nidagm » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Coach wrote:
nidagm wrote:Sparky. You said everything seems accessible at LCR, but there is not enough room (3 feet) between door and the conference table (check out the the circle in the table).

You can access the west side of the room by going around the table.

I also have one last question. in JO, do chairs (next to credenza) interfere with accessibility?

Doesn't everything have 3' access?

Coach, you are the man. Thanks for your prompt response.
nidagm

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN