Is this a Dead End Corridor?

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Is this a Dead End Corridor?

Postby SDTK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am

As far as NCARB is concerned... Would this be a dead end corridor? Would love to hear your opinions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SDTK

Re: Is this a Dead End Corridor?

Postby gbalaka » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 am

....but the dead end corridor in this example leads has an exit....how is that a dead end corridor?

If that door wasn't there and both sides of that corridor was let's say an apartment unit (or elevators), it would be okay as the corridor is not longer than 20 feet.

Am I way wrong???
gbalaka

Postby SDTK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 pm

gbalaka wrote:....but the dead end corridor in this example leads has an exit....how is that a dead end corridor?

If that door wasn't there and both sides of that corridor was let's say an apartment unit (or elevators), it would be okay as the corridor is not longer than 20 feet.

Am I way wrong???

Sorry, I forgot to specify that the door shown leads to a closed room, on level 2, for example. The only way to exit is to turn around at the end of the corridor. So my question is really asking, is the 20'-0" max distance measured from the door to the "edge", or the "center", of the exit corridor?
SDTK

Postby gbalaka » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 pm

SDTK wrote:
gbalaka wrote:....but the dead end corridor in this example leads has an exit....how is that a dead end corridor?

Am I way wrong???

Sorry, I forgot to specify that the door shown leads to a closed room, on level 2, for example. The only way to exit is to turn around at the end of the corridor. So my question is really asking, is the 20'-0" max distance measured from the door to the "edge", or the "center", of the exit corridor?

My understanding is that it's from the edge of the corridor (where the wall starts) and not the center of the perpendicular corridor. According to the CBC (1020.4) or the IBC, it states "...there are no dead ends IN corridors more than 20 feet in length". So the "IN" part tells me that it's about the corridor itself.

Hope this answers your question.

For the purpose of this exam...try to avoid dead-end corridors in general. Or if you do, don't push it to the limit....
gbalaka

Postby Coach » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:54 pm

It is a dead end and it's less than 20', so it's not a problem.
No reason to avoid dead ends, it's the length that matters.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby SDTK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Coach wrote:It is a dead end and it's less than 20', so it's not a problem.
No reason to avoid dead ends, it's the length that matters.

Ahhh thanks, Coach!!!
SDTK

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN