BL First Attempt and some Questions - Please Review!

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

BL First Attempt and some Questions - Please Review!

Postby carpar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi Coach and Forum,

Please review my BL layout... This is a retake for me and I failed on the BL :shock: .

A couple of questions:

1_ How much space should we leave between the door and the wall? Is 4" acceptable (that's what I'm showing)?

2_ Can the stair dimension be 10x20 even if the travel changes direction as I've shown (as oppose to consecutive doors in same orientation)? In Jenny's notes, it seems that she indicates a 12x18 for this door arrangement but I don't see how it matters.

3_ I made sure that the view angle from the window in the reception to the visual control space doors were perpendicular as much as possible. What is the required view angle?

4_ I am not showing intervening spaces, but if I did introduce one, how should the door swings work? I.e. if the EE was inside of the EM, should the door swing into the EE, like all the other spaces? Or is it considered an exit door?

5_ Do I have a conflict with my window locations and conifers? Is this something that NCARB will look at for this exam?

Thank you!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carpar

Re: BL First Attempt and some Questions - Please Review!

Postby Coach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 pm

carpar wrote:1_ How much space should we leave between the door and the wall? Is 4" acceptable (that's what I'm showing)?

Not critical.

2_ Can the stair dimension be 10x20 even if the travel changes direction as I've shown (as oppose to consecutive doors in same orientation)? In Jenny's notes, it seems that she indicates a 12x18 for this door arrangement but I don't see how it matters.

Any stair that's 8' min clear works as long as doors are at corners.

3_ I made sure that the view angle from the window in the reception to the visual control space doors were perpendicular as much as possible. What is the required view angle?

Provide a reasonable line of sight from within controlling room to item being controlled.

4_ I am not showing intervening spaces, but if I did introduce one, how should the door swings work? I.e. if the EE was inside of the EM, should the door swing into the EE, like all the other spaces? Or is it considered an exit door?

Doesn't matter.

5_ Do I have a conflict with my window locations and conifers? Is this something that NCARB will look at for this exam?

Not an issue unless specifically programmed.

TS/MP distance weak. Swap TS with EM.
Move LM door east and SO door west.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby carpar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks Coach!

I thought of another question - does the 10% program space rule mean it can be over 10% OR under 10%? Or is it just over?

Thanks!
carpar

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:39 pm

carpar wrote:Thanks Coach!

I thought of another question - does the 10% program space rule mean it can be over 10% OR under 10%? Or is it just over?

Thanks!

6. The area of each space shall be within 10 percent of the required program area.
Sparky83

Postby carpar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:47 pm

So to be clear:

If a program area is 100 sq.ft, then 90 sq.ft minimum is acceptable AND 110sq.ft maximum is acceptable?

Understanding the fact that as close to 100 as possible is the intention.
carpar

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN