IL - Same Furniture/Dimensions on Actual Test?

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

IL - Same Furniture/Dimensions on Actual Test?

Postby SDTK » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 pm

I know nothing is guaranteed, but is it very likely that on the actual test, we will be working with the same furniture items, and those pieces of furniture will be the same dimensions? Seems like this vignette is tough due to the time constraint, but getting comfortable with the practice software and specifically, the furniture clearance requirements, is what makes all the difference.

The first time I attempted the practice vignette, it took me about 90 minutes to complete. After I got through it, I felt like I could have saved a lot of time if I had followed these steps:

- determine the most efficient general room arrangement, considering the program requirements for window access, required adjacencies, and room sizes based on the program's listed furniture
- Start by drawing the smallest room first, make it as efficient as possible
- Then draw the next adjacent room, making it as efficient as possible, and so on, until the main circulation space is all that is left, where you make the furniture fit there however it can
- Make adjustments to all rooms as needed

I noticed that the executive desk want to be oriented one way for "longer" rooms, and another way for "wider" rooms. And the conference table has the largest space requirements, so knowing this ahead of time makes it easier to anticipate the best general room arrangement PRIOR to drawing anything. But this all goes out the window if the actual test has totally different pieces of furniture.

Can doors swing either in or out of rooms? I assume yes, of course. Just want to verify.

Also, minor question... I noticed on NCARB's sample passing solution, it does not seem like there is a 60" ADA turning space provided in the LCR. Am I incorrect? Maybe it barely fits in the top left corner?
SDTK

Re: IL - Same Furniture/Dimensions on Actual Test?

Postby sbyrktct » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:07 am

SDTK wrote:I know nothing is guaranteed, but is it very likely that on the actual test, we will be working with the same furniture items, and those pieces of furniture will be the same dimensions? Seems like this vignette is tough due to the time constraint, but getting comfortable with the practice software and specifically, the furniture clearance requirements, is what makes all the difference.

(You didn't hear this from me, but... open the practice program file folder, open the "c9furn.dwg" file in AutoCAD, enjoy.)

SDTK wrote:The first time I attempted the practice vignette, it took me about 90 minutes to complete. After I got through it, I felt like I could have saved a lot of time if I had followed these steps:

- determine the most efficient general room arrangement, considering the program requirements for window access, required adjacencies, and room sizes based on the program's listed furniture
- Start by drawing the smallest room first, make it as efficient as possible
- Then draw the next adjacent room, making it as efficient as possible, and so on, until the main circulation space is all that is left, where you make the furniture fit there however it can
- Make adjustments to all rooms as needed

I would actually suggest that you start with the room with the most or largest pieces of furniture (typ. the LCR). If you think you've been efficient with all of the smaller rooms, but don't have enough clearance left over for your biggest space, you pretty much have to start over. Make your largest room as efficient as possible, then work your way around.

SDTK wrote:I noticed that the executive desk want to be oriented one way for "longer" rooms, and another way for "wider" rooms. And the conference table has the largest space requirements, so knowing this ahead of time makes it easier to anticipate the best general room arrangement PRIOR to drawing anything. But this all goes out the window if the actual test has totally different pieces of furniture.

See note above. Also this: http://arehelp.webs.com/sd

SDTK wrote:Can doors swing either in or out of rooms? I assume yes, of course. Just want to verify.

Swing doors into rooms. Design logic... take a walk around your office and count how many office doors swing into the hallway.

SDTK wrote:Also, minor question... I noticed on NCARB's sample passing solution, it does not seem like there is a 60" ADA turning space provided in the LCR. Am I incorrect? Maybe it barely fits in the top left corner?

It's probably enough space in the NE corner, but NCARB ain't perfect... http://arehelp.webs.com/ncarb-errors
sbyrktct

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN