BL questions

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

BL questions

Postby jdpa » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:59 am

Hi!
I have few questions or things I would like to confirm just from the NCARB's sample passing solution for Building Layout.

1. On 1F, the exterior exit door at the east end of main corridor is not needed, right? (because there is an exit stairway near the east end of the corridor)

2. CR has two doors. Is the west door needed for visual control? I don't think the west door is needed because visual control of east door is possible if there is a window in the wall between R and CR? (It seems like the east door is about 30' away from the wall btw R and CR.) What is the maximum distance for proper visual control?

3. EE is not next to E. Would the solution lose any score for this?

4. Does it matter if the main entry door from lobby is drawn as double or single door?

5. The main entry door is also an EXIT, right?

Thanks in advance!!
jdpa

Re: BL questions

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:05 am

jdpa wrote:Hi!
I have few questions or things I would like to confirm just from the NCARB's sample passing solution for Building Layout.

1. On 1F, the exterior exit door at the east end of main corridor is not needed, right? (because there is an exit stairway near the east end of the corridor) Correct.

2. CR has two doors. Is the west door needed for visual control? I don't think the west door is needed because visual control of east door is possible if there is a window in the wall between R and CR? Correct. Use windows for visual control.(It seems like the east door is about 30' away from the wall btw R and CR.) What is the maximum distance for proper visual control? There is no distance limit.

3. EE is not next to E. Would the solution lose any score for this? "sound design logic" is required, so it SHOULD be a deduct.

4. Does it matter if the main entry door from lobby is drawn as double or single door? Egress capacity is not in this vignette, so a single door swinging out is enough.

5. The main entry door is also an EXIT, right? Yes.

Thanks in advance!!
Sparky83

Postby jdpa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 am

Thanks so much for your feedback!! Sparky83

Looking at 1F, I know that the west ST is needed for proper egress from 2F.
But just to get the egress concept clear,, since the main entry door is an exit, egress requirement for just 1F is met without the west ST, correct?
In general, if a corridor's one end is connected to lobby with the main entry door and the other end of the corridor is connected to another exit, there would not be any dead end problem, right? (assuming there is no other corridor)

Another question,,
For door clearances, I can just follow the same code requirements given in IL vignette?

Highly appreciate your comments in advance.
jdpa

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 am

jdpa wrote:Thanks so much for your feedback!! Sparky83

Looking at 1F, I know that the west ST is needed for proper egress from 2F.
But just to get the egress concept clear,, since the main entry door is an exit, egress requirement for just 1F is met without the west ST, correct?
In general, if a corridor's one end is connected to lobby with the main entry door and the other end of the corridor is connected to another exit, there would not be any dead end problem, right? (assuming there is no other corridor) The lobby door is an exit, and so is the required door from the stair to the exterior. If you have a stair at the end of a corridor, you can exit through the stair.

Another question,,
For door clearances, I can just follow the same code requirements given in IL vignette? No. Door clearances do not apply in the BL vignette.

Highly appreciate your comments in advance.
Sparky83

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN