Interior Layout and Building Design - please review

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Interior Layout and Building Design - please review

Postby hansel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:28 am

Hello, please review if you gate a chance - thank you for your help,

IL.jpg

BD1.jpg

bd2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hansel

Re: Interior Layout and Building Design - please review

Postby jridings » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Couple of comments on the Interior Layout solution. It's close to the same solutions I've created, but a few key things may end up failing your solution. In general, I try to place a sketch rectangle at push/pull sides of each door before I even draw the doors. I then leave them in as a check. You've left a lot off, which is risky. In a pinch on exam day, with three minutes left, you will wish those rectangles were there.

JO
- Your 60-inch circle intersects your door swing and will result in a failing solution as that is considered a MAJOR scoring metric.
- I would assume credenzas must be behind the desk, and that a 36" clear circle must then fit between the credenza and the chair - this would be a MINOR metric if it's anything at all.

SO
- No issues. Good job.

LCR
- Placing doors in the middle of a wall is tricky because furniture can get behind them if you aren't careful. This looks OK, but your two LCR door clearance rectangles are exactly lined up, and one little shift there and you're busted. Just be careful. No scoring issue here, just not the best practice.

CR
- Your 60-inch circle intersects your door swing, just move it over if possible and you shouldn't have any issues - since your have the space this wouldn't be a scoring issue, but shift the circle over just to make sure you provided the right clearance because it's a MAJOR scoring hit if you don't.
- This room could be more efficient, see below at RBO for more info. I typically try and put the Storage Cabinet and Copy Machine on opposite walls like a galley kitchen, with 36-inch clearance down the middle. No scoring issues, just makes it tight in other rooms.

RBO
- I generally keep my clear floor area in front of furniture out of the clear floor area at doors. At your front door, that lateral file is a bad idea, but may still not flag anything. I think your Copy Room is too big, and could be more efficient to allow a hallway wide enough to accommodate two of your lateral files. It's bad design, and may result in a MINOR scoring hit, it anything at all.
- I like your waiting area, and at least one of your receptionists can see the front door without having to turn their whole body - which is all that's required. Stacking two right handed reception desks against the exterior wall in the SW corner would maintain required visual control of the door and also give you more room to put your work table and lateral files at the NW corner, and also free up space for your waiting area to be backed up against the Copy Room. Overall no scoring issue for this point though, just good design.

All in all your solution would Check out my posted solution from yesterday for this vignette and give me your thoughts.

Thanks and good luck,

JR
jridings

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:31 am

jridings wrote:Couple of comments on the Interior Layout solution. It's close to the same solutions I've created, but a few key things may end up failing your solution. In general, I try to place a sketch rectangle at push/pull sides of each door before I even draw the doors. I then leave them in as a check. You've left a lot off, which is risky. In a pinch on exam day, with three minutes left, you will wish those rectangles were there.

JO
- Your 60-inch circle intersects your door swing and will result in a failing solution as that is considered a MAJOR scoring metric. NO it is MINOR at most.
- I would assume credenzas must be behind the desk, DO NOT assume.and that a 36" clear circle must then fit between the credenza and the chair - this would be a MINOR metric if it's anything at all. There are no furniture relationship requirements in the program.

SO
- No issues. Good job.

LCR
- Placing doors in the middle of a wall is tricky because furniture can get behind them if you aren't careful. This looks OK, but your two LCR door clearance rectangles are exactly lined up, and one little shift there and you're busted. Just be careful. No scoring issue here, just not the best practice.

CR
- Your 60-inch circle intersects your door swing, just move it over if possible and you shouldn't have any issues - since your have the space this wouldn't be a scoring issue, but shift the circle over just to make sure you provided the right clearance because it's a MAJOR scoring hit if you don't. NO it is NOT major.
It is minor at most. Sketch elements are not graded at all.

- This room could be more efficient, see below at RBO for more info. I typically try and put the Storage Cabinet and Copy Machine on opposite walls like a galley kitchen, with 36-inch clearance down the middle. No scoring issues, just makes it tight in other rooms.

RBO
- I generally keep my clear floor area in front of furniture out of the clear floor area at doors. At your front door, that lateral file is a bad idea, but may still not flag anything. Not an issue. Clearances can overlap. They are just empty space. I think your Copy Room is too big, and could be more efficient to allow a hallway wide enough to accommodate two of your lateral files. It's bad design, and may result in a MINOR scoring hit, it anything at all. WRONG. It does not have to be pretty to pass.
- I like your waiting area, and at least one of your receptionists can see the front door without having to turn their whole body - which is all that's required. Stacking two right handed reception desks against the exterior wall in the SW corner would maintain required visual control of the door and also give you more room to put your work table and lateral files at the NW corner, and also free up space for your waiting area to be backed up against the Copy Room. Overall no scoring issue for this point though, just good design. "Good design" is irrelevant.

All in all your solution would Check out my posted solution from yesterday for this vignette and give me your thoughts.

Thanks and good luck,

JR

Sketch circles for turning radius are 6' instead of 5'.
Easily passing.
Sparky83

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am

BL review

L door MUST swing out. Major life safety issue.
Cannot see interior or exterior windows.
Verify corridors are 6' clear. The computer will only identify centerline to centerline.
Sparky83

Postby jridings » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:53 pm

I think Sparky is misinterpreting many key requirements, or just being funny which is appreciated.

Good luck.

JR
jridings

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:31 am

jridings wrote:I think Sparky is misinterpreting many key requirements, or just being funny which is appreciated.

Good luck.

JR

Think again.
Sparky83

Postby raaz227 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:09 am

jridings wrote:I think Sparky is misinterpreting many key requirements, or just being funny which is appreciated.

Good luck.

JR

Sparky is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable on this board. Helped me greatly!
raaz227

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN