Building Layout Vignette Questions

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Building Layout Vignette Questions

Postby jfernandes434 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:43 am

I have a few questions about the building layout vignette:

1. Does the lobby count as program when calculating the corridor versus program percentage?
2. In which direction should the door from the corridor into the stair swing on the first floor if the stairs also have a door directly to the exterior? Should the door swing into the stairs so the people in the corridor can exit through the stairs? Or should the door swing into the corridor so the people in the stairs can exit through the corridor?
3. Is it acceptable to put windows in interior walls? For example, to provide a line of sight from Reception to the entrance of the Children's Room or Game Room.
4. Can exterior doors swing into the property setbacks?
5. Do you need to do anything to the elevator (draw door, wall opening, etc.) to provide access?
6. Is there any down side to providing more than one door from a room that only requires one?
7. What is considered "near"? In my screen shot below, is the Small Meeting Room close enough to the Large Meeting Room?
8. Should Toilet Rooms be located near each other? At first I interpreted each bathroom location as servicing males and females, which would suggest that the two Toilet Rooms per floor should be separated. But then I started to wonder if each floor requires two Toilet Rooms because one is male and one is female, suggesting that the rooms should be near each other.
9. Does simplifying plumbing fall under the vague "design logic" term? For example, should Toilet Rooms on the second floor align with Toilet Rooms on the first floor?
10. To what degree should you work out the stair? Given that each stair location is approximately 200 SF, I assumed that a return stair would fit in a rectangle roughly 20' x 10'. Should you take this a step further and make sure that the required number of risers actually fits in this shape, taking into account door locations?
11. The instructions imply that you can have built space on the first floor that does not have any built space above it. Is that correct? For example, in my screen shot below, the north end of the Game Room, the southwest corner of the Lobby, and the Elevator Equipment Room do not have program above them.

I've attached screen shots of my first floor layout, second floor layout, and second floor layout showing first floor below. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jfernandes434

Re: Building Layout Vignette Questions

Postby Coach » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:14 pm

jfernandes434 wrote:1. Does the lobby count as program when calculating the corridor versus program percentage?

No. Lobby is not corridor.

2. In which direction should the door from the corridor into the stair swing on the first floor if the stairs also have a door directly to the exterior?

Doors from interior must swing into stair, they're exit doors.

Should the door swing into the stairs so the people in the corridor can exit through the stairs?

Yes.

Or should the door swing into the corridor so the people in the stairs can exit through the corridor?

That's what the exit to grade is for.

3. Is it acceptable to put windows in interior walls?

Acceptable and probably required.

For example, to provide a line of sight from Reception to the entrance of the Children's Room or Game Room.

Yep.

4. Can exterior doors swing into the property setbacks?

Yes, but not over PL.

5. Do you need to do anything to the elevator (draw door, wall opening, etc.) to provide access?

No.

6. Is there any down side to providing more than one door from a room that only requires one?

Sometimes it can help (near), sometimes it can hurt (visual control).

7. What is considered "near"?

As close as possible door-to-door. Within 1/2 the primary corridor length, less with turns.

In my screen shot below, is the Small Meeting Room close enough to the Large Meeting Room?

If you move the SM door to west end it will be.

8. Should Toilet Rooms be located near each other?

Not necessary.

At first I interpreted each bathroom location as servicing males and females, which would suggest that the two Toilet Rooms per floor should be separated. But then I started to wonder if each floor requires two Toilet Rooms because one is male and one is female, suggesting that the rooms should be near each other.

Whether unisex or sexed, 2 per floor and proximity is irrelevant.

9. Does simplifying plumbing fall under the vague "design logic" term?

You'd think so, I used to long ago, but no.

For example, should Toilet Rooms on the second floor align with Toilet Rooms on the first floor?

Definitely not required or even helpful because the scoring has not positive points, only negative.

10. To what degree should you work out the stair?

Zero. Just use common sense with door locations. Keep doors at corners.

Given that each stair location is approximately 200 SF, I assumed that a return stair would fit in a rectangle roughly 20' x 10'. Should you take this a step further and make sure that the required number of risers actually fits in this shape, taking into account door locations?

No. There's a whole other vignette for that.

11. The instructions imply that you can have built space on the first floor that does not have any built space above it. Is that correct?

Of course. Many programs are unsolvable otherwise.

For example, in my screen shot below, the north end of the Game Room, the southwest corner of the Lobby, and the Elevator Equipment Room do not have program above them.

Yep. Just don't create roof islands and keep exterior recesses (areas with walls on 3 sides) on both floors no deeper than twice their width.

Swing non-exit doors into rooms.
Lobby proportions very poor.
No control of main entry.
Why is CR door recessed?
Dbl doors are unnecessary.
EE access via R is illogical.
Stairs work but door placement not the most logical.
Corridor exit is redundant.
Align LR doors.
Swap TS with TR and move door west.
West LM door is unnecessary.
Verify all corridor clear widths.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby jfernandes434 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 pm

The door swings always get me. I swung them all into the rooms when I took this exam the first time, but I failed, so I started to wonder if I misunderstood and they all have to swing out. Should the doors swing into the rooms even when two exits are required, as for MP?

I had something way better for the lobby and then I stupidly thought the corridors couldn't be more than 10% of the program area (instead of 25%). I made some silly changes to make that work.

Does R need to be the first room in order to have control of main entry?

I recessed the CR door so there could be a window from R looking directly at the door. Can CR be on the same side of the corridor as R (and aligned with R) and R still be considered to have visual control?

The program states that EE can exit through an intervening space. Are there any rooms through which it would be considered logical to access EE? Perhaps EM (if it were in a logical location)?
jfernandes434

Postby Coach » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:39 pm

jfernandes434 wrote:Should the doors swing into the rooms even when two exits are required, as for MP?

NO. Exit doors must swing out.

Does R need to be the first room in order to have control of main entry?

No, but you must provide a reasonable line of sight from within R to the entry.

I recessed the CR door so there could be a window from R looking directly at the door. Can CR be on the same side of the corridor as R (and aligned with R) and R still be considered to have visual control?

View may be of either side of the door.

The program states that EE can exit through an intervening space. Are there any rooms through which it would be considered logical to access EE? Perhaps EM (if it were in a logical location)?

EM is clearly the best, but any room where noise is not a factor. TR would also be a poor choice.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jfernandes434 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:15 am

I practiced the vignette again with an alternate layout. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. My biggest concern on this one is the distance from CR to MP as they are supposed to be "near." I believe I met the definition, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jfernandes434

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:45 pm

jfernandes434 wrote:I practiced the vignette again with an alternate layout. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. My biggest concern on this one is the distance from CR to MP as they are supposed to be "near." I believe I met the definition, though.

Not great, but passable.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN