TEST TOMORROW-FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!!! IL & BL

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

TEST TOMORROW-FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!!! IL & BL

Postby carpar » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:49 pm

Forum and coach - feedback would be much appreciated!

a couple of questions:
BL:
- window lengths - 4'-10' acceptable?
- are the aspect ratios of my rooms acceptable? they are quite rectangular...

IL:
- can the 5' turning circle overlap with the door CFA, as shown in the copy room?

thank you!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carpar

Re: TEST TOMORROW-FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!!! IL & BL

Postby Joseluis778 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:39 pm

On the BL, I would aim to keep the rooms as square as possible. Also please read Jenny's notes on roof islands. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the empty space between your "OB and CO" on the second floor.
She says: "Roof Islands are empty spaces on the second floor surrounded by program walls.
They usually occur at the core of the building. Avoid it at all costs by infilling the area with small programmatic spaces, or if you can't do that, turn it into corridor space."

On the IL question, I found the answer on sbyrktct's are help website. It says:

Q. Can the space for a turning radius overlap the door swing?
A. Yes, but it cannot overlap the door itself.

[ *** Note: While this advice re: turning radius and door swing has been given out for nearly a decade, NCARB has now (finally?!?) noted that it is a minor error to overlap the turning radius with the door swing. Also note that this "error" probably only happens in small rooms such as the Copier Room because most rooms will have enough space for the scoring computer to find turing space in a location not overlapping with the door swing (the scoring computer does not score your sketch elements). *** ]

I'm also testing tomorrow, good luck!
Joseluis778

Postby carpar » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Joseluis778 wrote:On the BL, I would aim to keep the rooms as square as possible. Also please read Jenny's notes on roof islands. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the empty space between your "OB and CO" on the second floor.
She says: "Roof Islands are empty spaces on the second floor surrounded by program walls.
They usually occur at the core of the building. Avoid it at all costs by infilling the area with small programmatic spaces, or if you can't do that, turn it into corridor space."

I thought about that but I figured that it's not really an island because it's not fully enclosed... but I haven't found any comments on this sort of thing.

On the IL question, I found the answer on sbyrktct's are help website. It says:

Q. Can the space for a turning radius overlap the door swing?
A. Yes, but it cannot overlap the door itself.

[ *** Note: While this advice re: turning radius and door swing has been given out for nearly a decade, NCARB has now (finally?!?) noted that it is a minor error to overlap the turning radius with the door swing. Also note that this "error" probably only happens in small rooms such as the Copier Room because most rooms will have enough space for the scoring computer to find turing space in a location not overlapping with the door swing (the scoring computer does not score your sketch elements). *** ]

Got it - no point in risking it. thanks!

I'm also testing tomorrow, good luck!

thank you!!! Good luck to you as well!
carpar

Postby Coach » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:20 pm

carpar wrote:BL:
- window lengths - 4'-10' acceptable?

Yes. No need to be anal about it. Just plop them in there.

- are the aspect ratios of my rooms acceptable? they are quite rectangular...

TS is very weak, EM is weak, SO is weak.

IL:
- can the 5' turning circle overlap with the door CFA, as shown in the copy room?

Yes.

BL
EE should be adjacent to E.
LR doors missing.
TS/MP connection is not in program. Direct connection is not a substitute for near.
Move SO door west.
Exterior recess depth should not exceed 2x width.
Missing toilet rooms.

IL
Slight CFA encroachment in JO. Plenty of room to move T44 west or rotate.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN