SD: Interior Layout Vignette Questions

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

SD: Interior Layout Vignette Questions

Postby jfernandes434 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:34 am

I just went through the practice vignette for the interior layout, and I have a few minor questions:

1. Can the 180-degree turn radius overlap the door swing?
2. Can doors swing open in front of other doors?
3. Does the 18" that is required to the left of an inswing door have to be wall space? For example, in room JO of the attached screenshots, the wall turns away from the door. Can that turn occur with only 16" of wall (which leaves the required 12" on the other side)?
4. Can there be dead corners? For example, can the front adjacent corners of two bookcases that are oriented perpendicularly to each other touch, resulting in an un-used space in the corner that cannot be reached?
5. Can a door block furniture when open? For example, in room CR of the attached screenshots, the door opens such that there is less than 36" between the open door and the small bookcase.

I've also attached screenshots of my practice vignette with and without sketch elements. If anyone can provide any feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jfernandes434

Re: SD: Interior Layout Vignette Questions

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 am

jfernandes434 wrote:I just went through the practice vignette for the interior layout, and I have a few minor questions:

1. Can the 180-degree turn radius overlap the door swing? There is nothing in the code or program that says it can't.
2. Can doors swing open in front of other doors? No.
3. Does the 18" that is required to the left of an inswing door have to be wall space? For example, in room JO of the attached screenshots, the wall turns away from the door. Can that turn occur with only 16" of wall (which leaves the required 12" on the other side)? It just has to be clear space.
4. Can there be dead corners? For example, can the front adjacent corners of two bookcases that are oriented perpendicularly to each other touch, resulting in an un-used space in the corner that cannot be reached? Yes.
5. Can a door block furniture when open? For example, in room CR of the attached screenshots, the door opens such that there is less than 36" between the open door and the small bookcase. No. Everything must be accessible without moving anything.

I've also attached screenshots of my practice vignette with and without sketch elements. If anyone can provide any feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Executive desk in JO should not directly face a wall.
Worktable should have 36" clear along one entire long side.
Bookcase in CR is blocked by the door.
Sparky83

Postby sbyrktct » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
jfernandes434 wrote:1. Can the 180-degree turn radius overlap the door swing? There is nothing in the code or program that says it can't.

Actually, NCARB clarified this on their blog... even though it is not stated anywhere in the code or program... it is a minor error.
Typical NCARB for ya...
sbyrktct

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:53 pm

sbyrktct wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:
jfernandes434 wrote:1. Can the 180-degree turn radius overlap the door swing? There is nothing in the code or program that says it can't.

Actually, NCARB clarified this on their blog... even though it is not stated anywhere in the code or program... it is a minor error.
Typical NCARB for ya...

Yes, they called it a requirement under "design logic". When I pointed out to them that they had omitted "design logic" from the program requirements, they deleted the thread and threatened me with "legal action". That would been unwise on their part.
Sparky83

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Their moderators also aren't the best.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jfernandes434 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 am

I practiced the interior layout vignette again with an alternate layout. Feedback would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jfernandes434

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN