ALT file screwed up my program

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

ALT file screwed up my program

Postby appletree » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Help please, someone. this is my 5th exam and the first time i tried to use the alt programs. i followed the instructions, used alt 1. decided i wanted to go back to practicing regular NCARB. deleted the two alt files, copied back in the original NCARB ones. program wont run. gives me several error messages that i cannot click through, something about a wrong default value. so i uninstall, restart the computer. go back to ncarb's website and redownload the whole thing. install it again. AND IT STILL WONT RUN. same error msg, and what is weird, is that it still remembers my BL solution. how is that? i thought i uninstalled. where are the temp files that are clearly screwing this up? please help someone...i'm testing Monday and I dont know what do.
appletree

Re: ALT file screwed up my program

Postby appletree » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:10 pm

ugh. i figured it out. for anyone in the future looking up this issue...uninstalling and reinstalling was not enough. i had to search "NCARB" on my C drive, and delete a bunch of temporary files from appdata folder...that did it. then when i redownloaded and reinstalled...it was starting fresh.
appletree

Postby mmaland » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:43 pm

I am glad you got it to work.
mmaland

Postby moaki » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:39 pm

thanks for posting these tips- I have had the same problem too-- especially when I was trying to use the BL alts, but now that you are shedding some light, I am more prepared. All I have to do is to do a search on "NCARB" on the C drive and delete a bunch of temporary files in the appdata folder before I reinstall it.
Got it, thanks!
moaki

Postby exams4ever » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:35 pm

I hit this error as well, and used the tip above to fix the issue. It still took me some time because of the number of files that came up in the search suggested above, so pasting more details to help the next person that hits this. The relevant temp files were in the following folder in my case: C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\NCARB. Underneath this are folders for each exam - Building Systems, Schematic Design and so on. The temporary files are within these folders, with the extension .sol. Delete these and the problem gets fixed.
exams4ever

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN