Question about NALSA alts

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Question about NALSA alts

Postby simon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:09 am

So, I am testing Monday morning. Its my first one. I was feeling really really positive about it - I did all of the alts available around the internet for IL, and I did the NCARB and Sajjad BL without too many issues. I felt totally ready to go. Then I bought the NALSA alts. Has anyone else tried them out? Because I am now 100% freaked out. I tried the NALSA IL twice now - once last night, and once this morning. I was unable to solve it in 1 hour either time. Not only that, I don't see a clear solution to it at all. I was solving all of the other alts comfortably within an hour. On the one hand, I am glad I bought them because it is giving me more practice I guess. Then again, I almost wish that I hadn't done it because now I am so so nervous when yesterday I was feeling confident. Please someone out there tell me they are way more difficult than the exam! Any thoughts?
simon

Re: Question about NALSA alts

Postby simon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:56 pm

After trying to solve it a third time I finally looked at the solution and I am pretty discouraged. Part of my problem was not fully understanding the TFF clearances. I am allowing too much space around the chairs because I am having a bit of trouble understanding just how tight I can make it. This alt has so much furniture in it there is zero wiggle room and so not maximizing space around any piece of furniture will cause it to not be solvable. I am glad I am looking at the TFF clearances a bit more closely, but I am pretty bummed to be so discouraged with less than 48 hours to go. If you are about to test and considering purchasing those alts, I would suggest just really making sure you understand the TFF and then stay away from them! They will bum you out! I am not sure I want to try their BL alt now even though I paid for it.
simon

Postby olga » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:45 pm

do you mean DORF alts? It is by NALSA. I purchased DORF alts, because I had some DWG plans an no program, and Coach said I have to buy programs. But when I purchase DORF programs they are using NCARB layout. Actually this one seemed easier for me then the forum alts. I have my solution posted on the forum.
Or, are you talking about some other Alts?
Good luck with you test tomorrow.
olga

Postby simon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Those are the alts I am talking about. Maybe I just had horribly luck then. I tried that darn thing 4 times total and I just couldn't make it happen. How funny that you found it easier! I must have had some sort of brain block against it haha.

Either way, I tested this morning and found it way easier than that alt in particular. I knew I had a layout that would work within 15 minutes and was totally done in 45 including tweaking. The BL took longer than any of the alts I had tried - I took 3 hours 45 for it when I had been practice testing at closer to 2 hours.

I did a total of 5 IL practice exams (including the one I couldn't seem to solve) and 2 BL practice exams. I felt totally prepared and barring some major detail I failed to see, I feel good about it. I was very prepared before I bought the NALSA stuff so I wouldn't recommend going that route if anyone else is curious.

I took 3 weeks to prepare - I hardly studied in week 1, I studied a medium amount in week 2, and a lot in week 3. I was ready to go Friday and really didn't need the weekend to study.

This is my first ARE.
simon

Postby simon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Also, I was confused by the Dorf alt thing as well. I found DWGs that I couldn't seem to find a program for, but I also have the Dorf book which has 2 different programs but I couldn't find the DWG to match. Oh well!
simon

Postby olga » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Same here - about Dorf vignettes / program. I have 2 dwgs downloaded from old forum, but no program. I bought the progrm, but it was supposed to use the NCARB original dwg. Thanks for the exam experience post.
olga

Postby simon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:49 pm

I have convinced myself that I did not put a door at my main entrance. No joke. I was on my way to work this morning and it hit me - I gasped out loud. I tried to put it out of my mind, but the more I think about it, I really believe I did not put in my main entrance door. I can even remember going around and checking all of my doors - what is near to what, does the large space have 2 exits - but I am close to positive I did not put one at the stupid main entrance. I can't believe it. I suppose that is such a huge mistake it wouldn't matter how else I did. I am trying very hard to be positive and think that maaaaaybe I am wrong and I did put it in, but I am just so sure. I will be pretty annoyed at such a stupid error getting me.
simon

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN