Dead end corridor definition?

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Dead end corridor definition?

Postby sccdc » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:41 am

I'm confused about the definition of a dead end corridor - I thought it was one with no door at the very end, but in the NCARB sample passing solution, it says a corridor is NOT dead-ended when it has a door near the end, but on the side.

That leads me to believe that the rule means you can't have a corridor that has 20' without doors that also ends in nothing. But why would you have that anyway?
sccdc

Re: Dead end corridor definition?

Postby japorms_tys » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:01 am

A dead end corridor is a corridor that has no means of egress. So for instance, if a corridor on level 2 leads down a hall with rooms, but no stairwell, it is a dead end corridor. Also on the 1st floor if a corridor has doors to rooms, but is not connected to a stairwell or does not have an exterior exit, it is a dead end corridor. If the stairwell or exterior exit is in the middle of the corridor, everything extending beyond the exits is also a dead end corridor.
japorms_tys

Postby japorms_tys » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:03 am

This is a good visual for reference
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
japorms_tys

Postby Coach » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:18 pm

A dead end is any point within a corridor from which you have only one direction of egress travel.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jfernandes434 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am

I'm a bit confused about dead end corridors as well. The NCARB video for the Schematic Design Building Layout vignette says that there should be no dead end corridors, but the NCARB exam guide and the vignette itself say that dead end corridors cannot be more than 20 feet long. And the sample passing solution from NCARB has a dead end corridor (less than 20 feet long). Am I misunderstanding the video?
jfernandes434

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Dead ends are only a problem if they are over 20'.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN