Posture Chairs

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Posture Chairs

Postby Gozer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm

I know this has been partially discussed, but I'd still like to have everyone's opinion.

Hypothetically speaking:

An IL vignette includes an office with two worktables, two posture chairs, a storage cabinet and a bookcase. There is no other furniture. If one assumes that the two posture chairs are meant for use at the worktables, and positions them perpendicular to the tables, with about 1' from the tables, and more that 3' of clearance between and behind, is this a fatal mistake?

Reading the threads here, its clear that the majority caution that the the safest choice is to provide clearances to each individually inserted piece of furniture, but I'm wondering if the above would be fatal. Ideas?

Coach?
Last edited by Gozer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gozer

Re: Posture Chairs

Postby sbyrktct » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Doubtful that alone would be fatal.

If two furniture pieces are inserted separately, you should always assume that they each require their own clearances... unless specifically noted otherwise. (The "otherwise" has yet to be seen or reported.)
sbyrktct

Postby derek_s » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:34 pm

First, I would edit your post as I feel like you have probably revealed too much info about your exam and may be violating the policy.

Second, I don't think that would be fatal IN MY OPINION as logic would dictate that the chairs are used at the tables.
derek_s

Postby sbyrktct » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:38 pm

derek_s wrote:Second, I don't think that would be fatal IN MY OPINION as logic would dictate that the chairs are used at the tables.

How do you figure?
sbyrktct

Postby derek_s » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:45 pm

I figure based on the fact a posture chair is a task/desk chair, not for lounging, or general seating. You probably would not provide them in a lobby, reception area, or anywhere other than at a task-oriented surface (unless maybe at some special doctor's office for people with spinal ailments maybe???) Again, that is my opinion, and because I have not seen them (in my limited experience with this vignette) in rooms that aren't also occupied by work surfaces.

I would like to know if/why you disagree?
derek_s

Postby sbyrktct » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:41 pm

When tables require chairs, they are provided as a single unit of furniture for you to place into your vignette (i.e. executive desk, secretary desk, conference table, table for four). If the posture chair were supposed be placed in front of the worktable (or "drafting table" as it is called in the forum-user-created vignette alternate), it would be inserted with that table in the same command. There is also no programmatic requirement or suggestion that the posture chair and drafting table "go together".

We all agree that coffee tables, when placed within 36" of the front of an arm chair or lounge chair, block access to those chairs. IRL, you wouldn't place a coffee table that far away, but NCARB's rules dictate that minimum clearance be granted for both types of furniture.

I also don't see the link for these two pieces because of the name. If the "posture chair" were named "drafting stool," you could make a much stronger argument. Alas...

You absolutely cannot go wrong on the exam by giving both of those separately inserted pieces of furniture their own clearances. That will never be an error. But if you don't provide the clearances, and you're assumption is wrong... you run the risk of adding an error to your solution and risking a fail. Why would you do that?

The logical decision is to assume that if it is inserted separately, you should provide clearance for each piece of furniture.
sbyrktct

Postby Coach » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:47 pm

I recommend providing access as if posture chairs are being used at tables.
I wouldn't place chair facing table.
I believe placing chair perpendicular to table at one end is acceptable.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby sbyrktct » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:53 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, Coach.
I won't hold it against you. 8-)
sbyrktct

Postby Gozer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm

derek_s wrote:Second, I don't think that would be fatal IN MY OPINION as logic would dictate that the chairs are used at the tables.

That was my thinking, especially in an "office" with no other desks or chairs. But I understand why providing clearance to each individually inserted piece is always the safe bet. Hopefully this won't produce a fail.

Thanks all.
Gozer

Postby jpagliaroli » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:05 pm

Any chance that you are still checking the forum and can tell if you passed or not?
jpagliaroli

Postby Aesposito » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Anyone still checking this thread? Curious if it's a pass/fail situation
Aesposito

Postby techtonix » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Same question as well.
:evil:
Just goes to show how ridiculous these tests can be and why their phasing out the vignettes altogether. More energy spent of trying to figure out secret and imaginary rules then on building and safety in the real world. :evil:
techtonix

Postby stefana85 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:20 am

I've provided 3` clearance between desk and chairs placed in front, and passed the vignette, but that is the obvious answer. It was the first time I saw that so I wanted to be cautious.
stefana85

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN