Building Layout - first attempt & testing monday

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Building Layout - first attempt & testing monday

Postby ARE_candidate_JD » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I spent alot of time tweaking my dead end corridor dims, especially on 2nd floor. I left the sketch lines on so everyone can see how I measured. I measured from face of door along shortest path. Not sure if there is any published info on how NCARB would measure, i.e. if they measure only 90 degree turns or something silly like that. I had to get pretty crafty and reduce many of the spaces between 90-95% of their required area.

Curious what the forum has to say about stacking bathrooms. I originally had bathrooms stacked but ended up with alot of unused corridor space. Any idea which would be a bigger deduction in terms of grading? Not stacked bathrooms vs. wide unusable portions of corridor space.

Took me just over 3 hours, did the dorf chart. Watched his video first before even reading the NCARB material on this one. Now I am going to work on the NALSA version of this vignette.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARE_candidate_JD

Re: Building Layout - first attempt & testing monday

Postby ARE_candidate_JD » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:40 pm

so after purchasing the NALSA vignette and grading I can critique my own solution to the NCARB vignette I posted for forum review a few days ago:

-maintain 7' corridors thru-out
-double doors at lobby not required
-draw windows at reasonable sizes (4' to 6' wide)
-no windows at upper level of double height space

spent a total of 12 hours on test prep for this one (2 hours watching the DORF videos + 5 hours on NCARB vignettes + 5 hours on NALSA vignettes), feel confident in my ability to pass this on Monday. I've already moved on to studying for my structures (my final section) which I have on Dec 15.

I'm still curious to hear what Coach or others have to say about stacking bathrooms and method of measurement for dead end corridors.
ARE_candidate_JD

Postby hellz.bellz » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:55 pm

The Ballast material I'm referencing says to measure dead-end corridors 'from end of corridor to 1ft into main corridor.'

One issue I see is that Reception doesn't have visual control over the CR entry. Looks like an easy fix though - just flip the entry to the west side of the CR.

Thanks for sharing info on double doors @ lobby... always wondered about that.

Good luck!
hellz.bellz

Postby ARE_candidate_JD » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:27 am

RE: receptionist visual control to CR

I put a window in the east partition of reception and the west partition of children's room, so there is visual control, just have to look thru two windows. This was intentional because Dorf specifically mentions when NCARB says "nearby" they mean doors not just general proximity. I did second guess myself as I made this decision but hard to believe they wouldn't let this slide regardless of the interpretation.
ARE_candidate_JD

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN