Ncarb 4.0 First Attempts

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Ncarb 4.0 First Attempts

Postby shorty10 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Here are my first trys at the Ncarb vignettes. The interior layout is not pretty, but I wanted to go quickly and try to get feedback on situations that might not be ideal but still might pass in case the exam is not pretty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shorty10

Re: Ncarb 4.0 First Attempts

Postby ashleyh215 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 pm

I am currently studying to take my first test as well, SD (and coming up much sooner than I'd like!) so my comments are as another first-attempter. The IL seems to meet all of the requirements -- I would probably reorient the Executive Desk in the JO but since you have the clearances that doesn't necessarily matter. A couple of things I notice on the BL -- how long is your 2nd floor corridor? Seems like it may be longer than allowed? I will have to brush up on the dead-end corridor rules myself. On the 1st floor, it seems odd (and possibly not acceptable?) that the EE has to be accessed from another room, and doesn't have direct access to the corridor.
ashleyh215

Postby Draken31 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:25 pm

The program code states:

Every room shall connect directly to a corridor or circulation area.
Exception: elevator equipment rooms and rooms with an area of 50 ft² or less may connect to a corridor or circulation area through an intervening space, but not directly to a stair.

Circulation area: A lobby or a space designated as an “area.”

I take it that the EE and both LRs need corridor access because they are over 50 sf. No other "circulation area" other than corridors and the lobby have been defined.
Draken31

Postby Coach » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm

IL
Provide 50% min access to front of exec desk.

BL
Swing non-exit doors into rooms.
Missing wall opening.
Why does GR have an interior window?
Why does GR have 2 doors?
Break up windows into 4' to 10' segments in quantities proportional to room size.
Move CR door east.
LR access missing.
Why does LM have 2 doors?
SO door missing.
I would change the south bank of the 2nd floor to: SM at far west, then AO, SO, DO, SW.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:18 pm

ashleyh215 wrote:how long is your 2nd floor corridor? Seems like it may be longer than allowed?

Huh?

On the 1st floor, it seems odd (and possibly not acceptable?) that the EE has to be accessed from another room, and doesn't have direct access to the corridor.

Read the code.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN