Interior & Building Layout - NCARB - First Pass

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

Interior & Building Layout - NCARB - First Pass

Postby DTH » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 am

Hello all,

This is my first pass at both layouts using the NCARB program. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

BL 1st Floor-NCarb40.JPG

BL 2nd Floor-NCarb40.JPG

IL-Ncarb40.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DTH

Re: Interior & Building Layout - NCARB - First Pass

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am

BL:

Why does MP have 4 exits?
Why do CR, GR, SM, and LM have 2 doors each?
Logically EM belongs on the lower level.
Why does L have double doors?
TR's do not have to stack.

IL:
How do you reach the NE chair of the table for four in JO?
How do you access the west lateral file in RBO?
Bookcase in CR appears to overlap the wall.
Sparky83

Postby DTH » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Sparky83 wrote:BL:

Honestly, I wasn't sure if by 2 exits they meant literally 2 entries and 2 exits, or if folks could also run out the way they came.. I think I overthought that one.

I wasn't sure about whether NCARB measured 'proximity' of spaces based on entries. These spaces seemed large so I added doors at each end, but in retrospect that would probably hurt more than help.

Noted, thanks. That makes sense. I laid out the first floor and realized that I needed to place EM somewhere at the second floor. I had that first floor layout pretty tight and if it were the real test, I know I wouldn't have changed it around to fit EM. So wanted to see how 'bad' it was to place it at second.

I believe in the NCARB passing example the lobby had double doors. I understand that doesn't mean its correct though.

Noted, thanks!

IL:
My understanding was that as long as a 3'-0" path was available to each seat you were in good shape. My intent with the three sketch circles were to show that one could get around to the chair. In retrospect I probably should've kept this at 90 degree rotations.

Good catch. I'd have to pull that out from the wall to share the clear space behind the chair.

Noted, thanks!

This was great feedback. I think I need to get more comfortable with what the program is really looking for in regards to the 'closeness' of spaces and 'visibility'. From reading on the forum, I took that to mean that the entries had to be relatively close, and that spaces such as the receptionist couldn't be 'aligned' with the adjacent space that they need to have visibility of, which is why the 'R' is pulled out a bit.

I'll also relax on the number of doors I place!
DTH

Postby DTH » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Just realized, I think the north east stair is wrong on this as well. My understanding on how the stair would be laid out, it most likely wouldn't be able to exit under a landing at that location. Definitely need to try this a few more times.
DTH

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 am

DTH wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:BL:

Honestly, I wasn't sure if by 2 exits they meant literally 2 entries and 2 exits, or if folks could also run out the way they came.. I think I overthought that one. Exits swing in the direction of egress. All others are just doors.

I wasn't sure about whether NCARB measured 'proximity' of spaces based on entries. These spaces seemed large so I added doors at each end, but in retrospect that would probably hurt more than help. Door to door distance does matter for "near" requirements, but you still didn't need 2 doors for any of those rooms.

Noted, thanks. That makes sense. I laid out the first floor and realized that I needed to place EM somewhere at the second floor. I had that first floor layout pretty tight and if it were the real test, I know I wouldn't have changed it around to fit EM. So wanted to see how 'bad' it was to place it at second.

I believe in the NCARB passing example the lobby had double doors. I understand that doesn't mean its correct though. Right. Egress capacity is not in the scope of this vignette.

Noted, thanks!

IL:
My understanding was that as long as a 3'-0" path was available to each seat you were in good shape. My intent with the three sketch circles were to show that one could get around to the chair. In retrospect I probably should've kept this at 90 degree rotations. Everything must be accessible without moving anything.

Good catch. I'd have to pull that out from the wall to share the clear space behind the chair.

Noted, thanks!

This was great feedback. I think I need to get more comfortable with what the program is really looking for in regards to the 'closeness' of spaces and 'visibility'. From reading on the forum, I took that to mean that the entries had to be relatively close, and that spaces such as the receptionist couldn't be 'aligned' with the adjacent space that they need to have visibility of, which is why the 'R' is pulled out a bit. Interior windows are used for visibility to entries to rooms.

I'll also relax on the number of doors I place!
Sparky83

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN