stair vignettee - code question

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

stair vignettee - code question

Postby jijiniuniu » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:31 pm

1. head room : the program said the headroom clearance is 80" but starting from the surface of the landing. The thickness of landing is 12" , that is to say the clearance is only 80" -12" = 68"= 5' 8" . Does that make sense? I do not worry about the demo case. Just in case we will be in the situation as the Dorf's video shows that people needs to passing through under the landing.

2. the width of staris: the program said the stairs min width is 44" , while the passing solution shows 60" . is 60" the suggested solution ? to keep the relationship between stairs and landing the simple and easy ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jijiniuniu

Re: stair vignettee - code question

Postby Coach » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:46 pm

jijiniuniu wrote:1. head room : the program said the headroom clearance is 80" but starting from the surface of the landing. The thickness of landing is 12" , that is to say the clearance is only 80" -12" = 68"= 5' 8" . Does that make sense?

No.
80" is required, so any surface (stair or landing) is above a path of egress (stair, landing, or other floor surface) the elevation of the upper surface must be 92" or more above the lower surface. (Assuming structure is 12")

2. the width of staris: the program said the stairs min width is 44" , while the passing solution shows 60" .

How do you know?

is 60" the suggested solution ?

No.

to keep the relationship between stairs and landing the simple and easy ?

No. Why would that make a difference?

Stair width in practice problem should be 56".

Sounds like you could really benefit from my videos.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: stair vignettee - code question

Postby jijiniuniu » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Thank you Coach,

1. yes, you are right , I do not what I was thinking while i was writing the question, yes, it should be 80+12 , see my stair solution . that is why I put the second landing at 8'2 = 98" level , see the screen shot.

2. it is 60" because I measure it. see the screenshot

figure out the width issue. it should be min 56" , coach is right. but not because of practice, it is because of code in the program.

"When areas of refuge are required, stairway width shall have a minimum clear width of 48 inches between handrails."
so the width should be 48 + 4 +4 = 56". NCARB shows 60 " makes sense , since it is in a reasonable range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jijiniuniu

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS