roof vignette question

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

roof vignette question

Postby mpc123 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:17 pm

hi all, quick question regarding roof design concept. trying to see if i understand the roof element constraints as well as i think i do. if i have a hypothetical footprint shown like below (high roof in center flanked with two low portions on either side) with a chimney overlapping both high and low (not sure if this would happen in a real exam), would the below two conceptual layouts be acceptable?

- flash all sides of the chimney, but would you have to break them up since we are dealing with two roof heights?
- shed roofs on the lower plan.. does it matter how large your roof footprints get (i.e. in southern-most roof on lower scheme)? is it bad to do shed roofs for any reason?
- amount of downspouts - 1 on either end make sense? even if if they are super short, we should still do 2 on each end? more than 40' = 3?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, retaking this exam this thursday and hoping to finish my LAST are!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mpc123

Re: roof vignette question

Postby Coach » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:26 pm

mpc123 wrote:- flash all sides of the chimney, but would you have to break them up since we are dealing with two roof heights?

I would.

- shed roofs on the lower plan.. does it matter how large your roof footprints get (i.e. in southern-most roof on lower scheme)? is it bad to do shed roofs for any reason?

In general, I don't like sheds at all. If a shed if results in a shorter run than a gable, I might consider it.

- amount of downspouts - 1 on either end make sense?

Yes.

even if if they are super short, we should still do 2 on each end?

One if 15' or less.

more than 40' = 3?

Not necessary.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS