Roof Vignette 4.0

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Roof Vignette 4.0

Postby Faijar » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi all,

Taking my last Exam before 4.0 retires in two weeks, please feel free comment my first attempt of the roof vignette.
Meanwhile I have following two questions regarding this vignette:

1. Is it necessary to provide two sections of gutters on the east side? i.e. One section for the upper roof plane while one section for the lower roof plane.
2. Is it necessary to have a downspout on each end of every gutter? i.e. Two downspouts per each gutter

Many Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faijar

Re: Roof Vignette 4.0

Postby Coach » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Faijar wrote:1. Is it necessary to provide two sections of gutters on the east side?

Yes, they are (should be) at different elevations.

2. Is it necessary to have a downspout on each end of every gutter? i.e. Two downspouts per each gutter

One is fine for gutters less than 15' or so.

Upper roof is too low.
No reason to interrupt gutter at chimney.
Missing flashing at chimney.
No reason not to use min allowable slopes.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby dciorba » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Coach,

I used the 4:12 slope in order to avoid the low point of the high roof on the east side from being lower then the low point on of the low roof on the east side. Is this an incorrect approach?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dciorba

Postby dciorba » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Faijar wrote:Hi all,

Taking my last Exam before 4.0 retires in two weeks, please feel free comment my first attempt of the roof vignette.

1. Is it necessary to provide two sections of gutters on the east side? i.e. One section for the upper roof plane while one section for the lower roof plane.

Many Thanks!

Faijar,

Check your low point on your high roof. From what I see in your screen print, you call for the west high roof low point to be 13'-0" but with the slope you are using, I believe the high point on your west low roof, 15'-6", will be higher than your low point on your high roof, 13'-0". With the 24" clerestory and 18" roof, the low point should be 19'-0". Correct me if I'm missing something.

Cheers and good luck!
dciorba

Postby Coach » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 pm

dciorba wrote:I used the 4:12 slope in order to avoid the low point of the high roof on the east side from being lower then the low point on of the low roof on the east side. Is this an incorrect approach?

That makes absolutely no sense.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Faijar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:39 am

Coach wrote:
Faijar wrote:1. Is it necessary to provide two sections of gutters on the east side?

Yes, they are (should be) at different elevations.

One is fine for gutters less than 15' or so.

Upper roof is too low.
No reason to interrupt gutter at chimney.
Missing flashing at chimney.
No reason not to use min allowable slopes.

Thanks for your reply and answers.
Faijar

Postby Faijar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:40 am

dciorba wrote:
Faijar wrote:Hi all,

Many Thanks!

Faijar,

Check your low point on your high roof. From what I see in your screen print, you call for the west high roof low point to be 13'-0" but with the slope you are using, I believe the high point on your west low roof, 15'-6", will be higher than your low point on your high roof, 13'-0". With the 24" clerestory and 18" roof, the low point should be 19'-0". Correct me if I'm missing something.

Cheers and good luck!

dciorba, Thanks for your reply.
Faijar

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS