3.1 All 3 Vignettes

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

3.1 All 3 Vignettes

Postby siza » Thu May 24, 2018 9:47 pm

I am retaking BDCS next week. Fail Vignettes last time. Last chance to finish my 4.0.

Practice Vignettes 3.1 as follow. Any comment helps! Thank you!

CODE same as NCARB Exam Guide.

Stair Program

2nd FL: 13'-6"
Storage: 3'-0"
(1) Aera of Refuge at 2nd floor.
Landing/stair flight/stringer deep: 12"

Questions:
1. Should door clearance be drawn from the door leaf at opening? or can it start from the corner at walls? This will make a different When stair well is tight.
2.Should stair always use the min. required width? This case is driven by Area of refuge req., 48" between handrails. I used 56"=48+4+4 throught out.
3. storage level landing is 5'-8"deep, same as the 2nd floor landing since two stair flights are identical. It is deeper than it needs. WIll this be downgraded?

Ramp:

Ramp width is 44". Stair width is 5'-0", same as the top landing.
Questions:
(1)I added a new double door to creat the vestibule because the exit is a double door. Is it correct? or a single door would work?
(2)I drawn two 36 doors to make a double door. Forgot to measure the exit door width. Should the new door match the existing ones if they are not 36"? Or should always use a 36 door?
(3)Handrail extendsion at stair. I turned it 90 at the btm because the floor clearance is exact 5'x5'. Is it acceptable? Thinking 12" straight into the 5x5 is probably unacceptable.

Roof:
Min. Ceiling height: 8'-0"
Thickness of structural assembly: 18"
High roof slope: 6:12
Low roof slope:2:12
Clerestory: 30"-high at east wall, Waiting room
Others same as NCARB 4.0 Vignette

Questions:
(1)What would be the max.span for a single slope roof? Less than 35ft For low roof/25ft for high roof? What is considered as reasonable?
(2)Is there a height limit?
(3)I set the high roof slope running from the east to west. Because the clerestory is at the east wall, and I don't want to put a gutter in from of it. I found it tricky to set the low point at high roof though.
I set 1 ft above the low roof high point at the west wall. As I am typing this question,
I think it's ok to have the gutter at the same side of the clearestory as long as the downsprouts are not in front of the Clerestory. the low point of high roof could be at the clerestory side. Am I right?
(4)Will skylight orient one way better than the other? I always have the long side of skylight paralelled with the roof slope.Since the toilet room is small, the skylight was placed very close to the roof edge.
(5) For any L shape low roof, why a hip roof configuration is not recommended? it's straight forward. What is the disavantage of drawing a hip roof? (understood multiple hip roofs could be complicated.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
siza

Re: 3.1 All 3 Vignettes

Postby Coach » Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 am

siza wrote:Stai
1. Should door clearance be drawn from the door leaf at opening? or can it start from the corner at walls?

From hinge. The critical width dimension is on the strike side.

2.Should stair always use the min. required width?

That's what I recommend.

3. storage level landing is 5'-8"deep, same as the 2nd floor landing since two stair flights are identical. It is deeper than it needs. WIll this be downgraded?

Not a problem.

Ramp:
Stair width is 5'-0", same as the top landing.

Unnecessary. You wouldn't have to bend rail if stair was min allowable.

(1)I added a new double door to creat the vestibule because the exit is a double door. Is it correct? or a single door would work?

The existing doors are downstream and have no bearing on required new door. New dbl door is ok, but what if space doesn't allow?... as in 4.0 vignette.

(2)I drawn two 36 doors to make a double door. Forgot to measure the exit door width. Should the new door match the existing ones if they are not 36"? Or should always use a 36 door?

Always use 36.

(3)Handrail extendsion at stair. I turned it 90 at the btm because the floor clearance is exact 5'x5'. Is it acceptable?

Yes.

Thinking 12" straight into the 5x5 is probably unacceptable.

Going into the landing would not be the problem. Narrowing egress width as you turn to leave the stair would be the problem.

Roof:
(1)What would be the max.span for a single slope roof? Less than 35ft For low roof/25ft for high roof? What is considered as reasonable?

I don't recommend sheds if you can avoid it. Simple gables are best.

(2)Is there a height limit?

No, but you should be reasonable efficient.

(3)I set the high roof slope running from the east to west. Because the clerestory is at the east wall, and I don't want to put a gutter in from of it.

Why not?

I found it tricky to set the low point at high roof though.

It'snot tricky, but less to worry about if you had used a gable.

As I am typing this question, I think it's ok to have the gutter at the same side of the clearestory as long as the downsprouts are not in front of the Clerestory. the low point of high roof could be at the clerestory side. Am I right?

Of course, but if a shed, that would drive the entire roof up.

(4)Will skylight orient one way better than the other?

Do what works. Length vs slope is irrelevant.

(5) For any L shape low roof, why a hip roof configuration is not recommended? it's straight forward.

It's not always straightforward.

What is the disavantage of drawing a hip roof?

Wasting time going in and out of ortho. Easy to make errors. If sides don't have the same run it doesn't work. Stick with gables.

Stair
Rails encroach into southwest of CFA at top landing.

Ramp looks good.

Roof
Break room exhaust missing.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: 3.1 All 3 Vignettes

Postby siza » Sat May 26, 2018 7:28 am

Thank you Coach! Super helpfule! Very appreciate!
siza

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS