3.1 Ramp

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

3.1 Ramp

Postby Concord55 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 pm

I tried using the 44" (3'8") ramp instead of the 60" ramp since previously I had always been working with the 5' dimension. For the 7" landing I made it big enough to get a clear turning radius of 5'0" and so that it would hit the wall without creating any dead space. Is there anything "wrong" with making the landing bigger than necessary?

If I want to make sure I have the clear turning radius without making the landing larger than it needs to be, should I make sure the landing there is at least 5'4" to accommodate the handrail connecting the two ramps? Since there is no handrail at the south wall, four inches should be enough. Correct?

I put two 4'0" x 4'0" door clearances in front of the exit door to make sure I had enough space to the side of the doors.

Thanks for any input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Concord55

Re: 3.1 Ramp

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Concord55 wrote:For the 7" landing I made it big enough to get a clear turning radius of 5'0" and so that it would hit the wall without creating any dead space. Is there anything "wrong" with making the landing bigger than necessary?

Not a problem within reason.

If I want to make sure I have the clear turning radius without making the landing larger than it needs to be, should I make sure the landing there is at least 5'4" to accommodate the handrail connecting the two ramps? Since there is no handrail at the south wall, four inches should be enough. Correct?

Depending on where you stop inner rails, 60" can work. Draw it and see. Circle can be anywhere on landing.

I put two 4'0" x 4'0" door clearances in front of the exit door to make sure I had enough space to the side of the doors.

Why do you need space on hinge sides?

Looks good.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Concord55 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 am

Thanks for the clarifications!

You are right that I don’t need the door clearance on the hinge side. I was just so used to drawing sketch rectangles around the doors that I forgot to stop and really think about what I was doing.
Concord55

Postby Concord55 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 am

Hi Coach,

One last question about this solution. If I were to reduce the first run of ramp and move the 7” landing away from the south wall, how much space would I need to leave behind the landing? This area would not be a means of egress but should I make sure it is at least as wide as the egress width (here 44”)? That wouldn’t provide space for a wheelchair to turn 180, but it’s not a landing or part of the egress path so I don’t know why that would play a role.

Thank you!
Concord55

Postby Coach » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Concord55 wrote:One last question about this solution. If I were to reduce the first run of ramp and move the 7” landing away from the south wall, how much space would I need to leave behind the landing?

36" min.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Concord55 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Thank you!
Concord55

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS