Stair Vignette - First Try

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Vignette - First Try

Postby sshust15 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 am

Hey Guys! Last first attempt post from me. This time for the stairs!

Couple questions as this one was a bit tougher for me than the rest:

1. With the cut stair tool, I need to enter in the same base and top height 2 times for both the upper and lower sections. These elevations should both be the same correct?
2. How many clicks off the stair/wall should I make the railing? I know we need to maintain at least 1 1/2" on the wall side for clearance requirements. Is 3 clicks the right amount? Would this be the same for the ramp vignette as well? The reason I am asking is to save time drawing sketch lines.
3. Hypothetically, if we need an area of refuge for a mid floor landing, would the second floor stair need to be the 56" wide (including rails) or could it be 44" (or whatever the occupant requires great than 44") from 2nd floor to middle and then middle would be 56" to first floor?
4. Does the landing between mid floor and second floor need to clear the 80" height requirements? I have it at 7'-0" on my attempt which means I only have 6'-0" of clearance below which is not enough. Is that ok?
5. Should I set that same landing before making the stairs in order to figure out how many risers I may need to connect both levels?

Thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sshust15

Re: Stair Vignette - First Try

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:06 pm

sshust15 wrote:1. With the cut stair tool, I need to enter in the same base and top height 2 times for both the upper and lower sections. These elevations should both be the same correct?

Yes. Cuts are drawn just like standard runs.

2. How many clicks off the stair/wall should I make the railing? I know we need to maintain at least 1 1/2" on the wall side for clearance requirements. Is 3 clicks the right amount?

3 snaps to insertion points from walls and edges.

Would this be the same for the ramp vignette as well?

Yes.

3. Hypothetically, if we need an area of refuge for a mid floor landing, would the second floor stair need to be the 56" wide (including rails) or could it be 44" (or whatever the occupant requires great than 44") from 2nd floor to middle and then middle would be 56" to first floor?

In the unlikely event that the 2nd floor does not require an AOR, yes, that is correct; however, if that's your initial interpretation, read the program 2 more times before drawing.

4. Does the landing between mid floor and second floor need to clear the 80" height requirements? I have it at 7'-0" on my attempt which means I only have 6'-0" of clearance below which is not enough. Is that ok?

Is there a path of egress under it?

5. Should I set that same landing before making the stairs in order to figure out how many risers I may need to connect both levels?

That's usually best. If you don't take the time to do a little math and measuring first, be prepared to need a couple of attempts.

Stop rails at cut line.
Top landing is too small.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS