ADA Ramp - First Try

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

ADA Ramp - First Try

Postby sshust15 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:24 am

Hi guys! Looking for some comments on my ramp layout as well as a few questions I hope can be answered!

1. I just want to make sure I am understanding the way it is written in the code section as "the minimum width of an exit route shall not be less than 44" - projections into the required exit route width are prohibited, except for handrail projections." So the total ramp is 44" wide but with handrails being allowed I end up with 38". Is that right or do I need 44" clear?
2. I originally wanted the stair to face north which left me with 5'-4" to the wall. With the railing extension I end up with 4'-4" inches which leaves me enough for 44" clearance of an exit route. Would that have been acceptable or am I just forgetting a specific clearance for stairs?
3. Just a graphical question but if I do center of rail to center of rail they do not come together cleanly (as if there is a notch at every 90 degree bend). Is this ok or do they need to create a smooth connection?
4. Should the landing at the 30" height be 60" wide and 60" deep in order to allow for ADA turning or can the exit corridor be part of that turn?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sshust15

Re: ADA Ramp - First Try

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am

sshust15 wrote:1. I just want to make sure I am understanding the way it is written in the code section as "the minimum width of an exit route shall not be less than 44" - projections into the required exit route width are prohibited, except for handrail projections." So the total ramp is 44" wide but with handrails being allowed I end up with 38". Is that right or do I need 44" clear?

As quoted, the code answers that twice. It doesn't say "clear" and it allows rail projection.

2. I originally wanted the stair to face north which left me with 5'-4" to the wall. With the railing extension I end up with 4'-4" inches which leaves me enough for 44" clearance of an exit route. Would that have been acceptable

For a 44" stair, yes.

3. Just a graphical question but if I do center of rail to center of rail

That's the best way to do it as far as drawing speed goes.

they do not come together cleanly (as if there is a notch at every 90 degree bend). Is this ok or do they need to create a smooth connection?

Any connection works. Just don't cross into path of travel.

4. Should the landing at the 30" height be 60" wide and 60" deep in order to allow for ADA turning or can the exit corridor be part of that turn?

Floor is floor. You have more than 60x60.

New door is too small.
Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby sshust15 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Coach wrote:
sshust15 wrote:1. I just want to make sure I am understanding the way it is written in the code section as "the minimum width of an exit route shall not be less than 44" - projections into the required exit route width are prohibited, except for handrail projections." So the total ramp is 44" wide but with handrails being allowed I end up with 38". Is that right or do I need 44" clear?

As quoted, the code answers that twice. It doesn't say "clear" and it allows rail projection.

2. I originally wanted the stair to face north which left me with 5'-4" to the wall. With the railing extension I end up with 4'-4" inches which leaves me enough for 44" clearance of an exit route. Would that have been acceptable

For a 44" stair, yes.

3. Just a graphical question but if I do center of rail to center of rail

That's the best way to do it as far as drawing speed goes.

they do not come together cleanly (as if there is a notch at every 90 degree bend). Is this ok or do they need to create a smooth connection?

Any connection works. Just don't cross into path of travel.

Floor is floor. You have more than 60x60.

New door is too small.
Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.

Pertaining to doors, the code states, "Door openings shall have a minimum clear width of not less than 32 inches, measured between the face of the door and the opposite stop with the door open 90 degrees."

So if the door is open 90 that is only leaving me 30" from face of leaf to edge of door. I would automatically move up to the 36 inch door correct?

Also, I have attached a close up of a landing. It is currently a 5'x5' pad. You can see the 5' diameter sketch circle is hitting the railing a bit. Do I then need to make the landing larger to avoid hitting this railing and have 5' diameter clear?

Thanks for the input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sshust15

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm

sshust15 wrote: So if the door is open 90 that is only leaving me 30" from face of leaf to edge of door. I would automatically move up to the 36 inch door correct?

Always use 36" doors.

Also, I have attached a close up of a landing. It is currently a 5'x5' pad. You can see the 5' diameter sketch circle is hitting the railing a bit. Do I then need to make the landing larger to avoid hitting this railing and have 5' diameter clear?

90-degree turns do not require turning circle. 60x60 is all you need and rails may encroach.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS