Roof Vignette 1st Attempt

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Roof Vignette 1st Attempt

Postby Concord55 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:00 pm

This is my first try at the roof vignette. The design is a bit weird, but I started it and wanted to finish it to see if it still could work.

I would appreciate any comments. Is there anything here that doesn't work? The upper elevation of the lower roof is 14'8" so I calculated that the lowest elevation of the upper roof has to be a minimum of 14'8" plus 24" for the clerestory and 18" for the structure and got 18'2".

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Concord55

Re: Roof Vignette 1st Attempt

Postby Coach » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Concord55 wrote:The design is a bit weird

What's weird about it?

I would appreciate any comments. Is there anything here that doesn't work? The upper elevation of the lower roof is 14'8" so I calculated that the lowest elevation of the upper roof has to be a minimum of 14'8" plus 24" for the clerestory and 18" for the structure and got 18'2".

That's higher than necessary. The 14-8 elevation does not impact the clerestory location.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Concord55 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:45 am

Thanks, Coach!

So if the elevation of the lower roof along the west wall is 12’6” then I should make sure the upper roof has a minimum of that plus the clerestory and structure for a total of 16’0”? Is it a good idea to make the upper roof a little taller (6”) than the minimum to leave a margin of error or is this unnecessary and therefore probably a slight deduction to the score?
Concord55

Postby Coach » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Concord55 wrote:So if the elevation of the lower roof along the west wall is 12’6” then I should make sure the upper roof has a minimum of that plus the clerestory and structure for a total of 16’0”?

Yes.

Is it a good idea to make the upper roof a little taller (6”) than the minimum to leave a margin of error

Only if you do't trust your math.

or is this unnecessary and therefore probably a slight deduction to the score?

Hard to know. A few inches probably won't matter.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS