Stair Vignette First Practice

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Stair Vignette First Practice

Postby cuervo383 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:01 am

Hello all,

See below my stair vignette.
Here's the criteria I used:

I calculated the worst case scenario for OL to be 360 OL/3 Exits = 120 x .3 = 36. But since the program calls for stairway width to be min 48" clr between handrails if there is an area of refuge required (which it does call for on 2nd floor), then I made my stairway width 48" + 4" + 4" = 56" wide stair. Is this logic correct?

Starting on 2nd floor, made landing 5' deep which accounts for clearances, and made it 8'-4" wide to allow for the door clearance and area of refuge. This good enough? Or should I allow for a little more than 5' deep?

10 Risers/9 Treads to go from 12'-3" down to 7'-3" (10x 6" risers = 5'-0")

56" x 56" landing

11 Risers/10 Treads to go from 7'-3" down to 1'-9" (11x 6" risers = 5'-6")

56" wide landing accomodates door clearances at janitors room

3 Risers/2 Treads to go from 1'-9" (3x 7" risers = 1'-9")

I drew all the elements on 2nd floor only since the stair did not draw over another set of stair. Did not draw anything on 1st floor. That ok?

These handrails are a lot thicker than the ones on the Ramp vignette. Drew these right up against edge of stair. That ok? Or do I need to leave space between edge of stair and handrail/guardrail graphic?

Thanks in advance!!

Stair 1st Floor_01.JPG
Stair 2nd Floor_01.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuervo383

Re: Stair Vignette First Practice

Postby Coach » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:15 am

cuervo383 wrote:I calculated the worst case scenario for OL to be 360 OL/3 Exits = 120 x .3 = 36. But since the program calls for stairway width to be min 48" clr between handrails if there is an area of refuge required (which it does call for on 2nd floor), then I made my stairway width 48" + 4" + 4" = 56" wide stair. Is this logic correct?

Yes.

Starting on 2nd floor, made landing 5' deep which accounts for clearances, and made it 8'-4" wide to allow for the door clearance and area of refuge. This good enough? Or should I allow for a little more than 5' deep?

Door CFA must be clear of rails at southwest.

I drew all the elements on 2nd floor only since the stair did not draw over another set of stair. Did not draw anything on 1st floor. That ok?

Yes, but I recommend always using cuts and drawing on both levels.

These handrails are a lot thicker than the ones on the Ramp vignette. Drew these right up against edge of stair. That ok? Or do I need to leave space between edge of stair and handrail/guardrail graphic?

Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cuervo383 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:29 am

Coach wrote:
cuervo383 wrote:I calculated the worst case scenario for OL to be 360 OL/3 Exits = 120 x .3 = 36. But since the program calls for stairway width to be min 48" clr between handrails if there is an area of refuge required (which it does call for on 2nd floor), then I made my stairway width 48" + 4" + 4" = 56" wide stair. Is this logic correct?

Yes.

Door CFA must be clear of rails at southwest.

Yes, but I recommend always using cuts and drawing on both levels.

Hold rails 2" off walls and edges.

I took another one to time myself and to practice having to show the cut stairs and incorporate your advise from above:

Kept same stair width logic, and showed handrails/guardrails 2" in from edge.

Made top landing 6' deep to accommodate 5' clearance for door

If i have to use cut stair command, how do i decide where to stop/start the stairs and railings?
I show the cut stairs on the EW running stair on both levels, and stop the railing where the cut is. Is that correct?
Or should i extend the railing until stair stops?

Thanks!

Stair 1st Floor_02.JPG

Stair 2nd Floor_02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuervo383

Postby Coach » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:42 am

cuervo383 wrote:If i have to use cut stair command, how do i decide where to stop/start the stairs and railings?

Cut any run above all doors shown on lower level.

I show the cut stairs on the EW running stair on both levels, and stop the railing where the cut is. Is that correct?

Yes.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cuervo383 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Coach wrote:
cuervo383 wrote:If i have to use cut stair command, how do i decide where to stop/start the stairs and railings?

Cut any run above all doors shown on lower level.

Yes.

Thanks for all the advice coach! I think i got these vignettes down. Testing on the 19
Back to the text studying...
cuervo383

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS